XBMC System for XMAS

Looked everywhere! I thought it was sitting on my desk and when I looked it was my normal usb pen! Cant connect a PS/2 keyboard usb only... Doubt anything will be done for XMAS lol

Going to have to buy a cheap usb keyboard 2mw from somewhere onec its all setup im hoping I can get rid of the keyboard and doing everything by remote.

get a usb/ps2 adaptor if you have an old kb knocking around, or buy a kb from sainsburys and return it when done;) they have the MS wireless ones in at the moment

Going to pop in to maplins instead dont fancy going to any supermarket in the next few days lol...

Borrowed a keyboard from work, installed XBMC but cant get the remote to do anything and cant add my shares from my WIN7 machine... Keeps asking for username and password is it the WIN7 details I enter or XBMC ones... Havent tried XBMC ones so will try that now.

Ok cant seem to access any of my shares... Remote wont work. Any suggestions? Infact the remote does work cus I can power on with it but when XBMC loads it doesnt do anything.

Last edited:
DONT PANIC !!!

The smb shares will require your PC login details unless you change your file sharing preferences in windows....

The integrated IR receiver can be enabled/disabled in the system’s BIOS. The default setting is to enable the IR receiver, but make sure you check the setting. The IR receiver is called CIR in the BIOS and ACPI settings.

Last edited:
if it is already switched on in the bios let xbmc boot then press ctrl-alt and f1 to get a terminal window, log in to the terminal with your xbmc username and password (you can return to xbmc at anytime by perssing ctrl-alt and f7)

then type

sudo apt-get install lirc

then type

and press home MCE Home button. This should return "Home" in terminal.

then type

sudo reboot

and hopefully all will work

Entered PC login but cant seem to access shares. Created a xbox user account and it added it to shared folder but still cant access it. Will check bios now

Hang on going to reinstall xbmc to hdd just incase i messed something up. When I did that command thing IRW was not found.

Right reinstalled going to try doing it in putty so I can copy and paste results.

forget the remote for now how do I get shares to work... Cant seem to access from my pc.

Back