XBMC System for XMAS

Is XBMC live a stripped down version? How do I get new skins and ftp access etc?

Should I reinstall using minimal ubuntu then try downloading latest xmbc via svn?

you should have access to new skins using the addons gui feature,
FTP should be available on sftp port 21 / 22 with user / pass. try using filezilla as your client

glad you have most of the work sorted :)

Live is not a cut down version, it is using linux as the os. so will function exactly like the ubuntu plus xbmc etc...

Ftp will be fine as will smb shares etc....

I cant FTP

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Want to install Aeon Skin and have all that fan art stuff, need to run scraper I think.

Last edited:
I had to run some commands to install something FTP works now ;) just trying to download aeon skin now but dont get this github thing

Cant figure out how to install aeon... Got Transparency! working nicely, however the scraper didnt work properly so going to have to read up on how to name folders and files etc.

You get skins via the add on menu. they will instal in the correct place and you will have to select it as the skin...

how come you are ftp'ing ? you can instal from zip files or just browse to the xbmc folder and change what ever you need to from with in there...

I always used to ftp with xbmc etc but guess thats all kinda changed now, you cant install aeon via skin script.

Got another problem as the remote conflicts with my xbox 360 and cant get audio to work with spdif

There is a plugin called mixer that will sort your spdiff out and you grab the latest aeon from the nightlies page and ftp it to your home folder, then install it from within xbmc addons.

Pretty sure I unmuted spdif already but will have to check again later, how should it be setup in the system menu?

Could this be the problem?

Code:

Code:

Last edited:
chuffing 'eck - is it always this much of a faff on?

Windows 7 + Media Centre + Media Browser plugin was a doddle to set up and worked out of the box inc the remote!!

chuffing 'eck - is it always this much of a faff on?

Windows 7 + Media Centre + Media Browser plugin was a doddle to set up and worked out of the box inc the remote!!

Win7 + xbmc works fine, none of this faffing about and just use my htc hero or harmony for remote.

Much better than mce since they make you pay for some of the plug ins ffs

Sent from my HTC Hero

hehe like the quote hawkish but tbh if he is running it purely as a media centre then why would he be getting viruses? you only get them by going on dodgy web sites and using shitty hacked programmes... get a good anti virus..

don't get me wrong I am not a windows fan boy I prefer osx ;) but some times its just easier to stick win7 on...

as for the faf for linux there really is no need as if I remember rightly the settings are all there in settings of xbmc or failing that just edit the xml file to suit no need to arse about with ftp...

Very true Zad but in my experience windows always finds a way to catch a cold if its connected to the network, something to do with it being designed to allow executables to run in the backend without users consent I reckon.
The minimal install of linux that bally has done hasent got any desktop or gui so editing files has to be done either in the terminal window or over ftp. Linux also has more advanced nvidia drivers for the ION graphics acceleration than windows so there is some benefit there :)

I quite like the tinkering, I havent installed xbmc over windows but I imaging it would be a lot easier as windows is taking care of the mce remote and other settings. Each to their own :)

If it was easy I wouldnt bother ;) part of the fun for me is trying to figure the smallest problem out for hours on end... XBMC on Linux isnt for everyone thats why theres a Mac, Windows version and Live Disc.

BTW Tried mixer unmuted everything changed audio to coax/digital still no joy.

Just done google search and found this

ASROCK ION 330 SPDIF(optical) sound issue - XBMC Community Forum

Ha! After all that there was nothing wrong with my sound it was the stupid optical splitter I was using! Direct connection, set to 5.1 and worked straight away.

Back