WPA settings prob

Dingodog

Inactive User
Reaction score
Trying to set up WPA settings on Belkin preN true mimo wireless router, had it over a year and didnt realise I was open to the world, using it in conj with me lappy which has a PCMCIA card of the same genre. When I go into Belkin<setup<security on the main pc and select the WPA option it asks for a pre-shared key which I then enter (encription technique is set at default TKIP), as soon as I applly changes I lose my laptop connection, this also happens if I uncheck "broadcast SSID", anyone pls help in laymans terms as I'm a bit clueless in this dept lol.

The broadcast SSID must be the same on both router and PCMCIA settings. Make sure you select the same channel and that the pre-shared key is the same.

Some older PCMCIA cards can't use WPA. Check the manufacturers website...you might have to use WEP.

if your accessing the router wirelessly when you apply the settings you will loose connection as your laptop isnt connected using the new key. ull have to reconnect and add the key.

Thanks for the input, I'll have to check it out later as her indoors is doin her nut lol....back soon

always connect via ethernet when changing wireless settings.

Ok struggling a bit here, maybe just to clear a point my laptop has a Belkin true mimo PCMCIA wireless card I'm not connected with a cable. When I go into Belkin<setup<security on my laptop and click any of the buttons to make changes I get this "Duplicate Administator, This device is managed by 192.168.2.41 currently!!"

Ok sussed that I need to turn off the main PC to access lappy config, trying your suggestions now.
@Superpp do you mean I have to connect with a Lan cable into my router???

Last edited:
your only allowed 1 admin session open at a time on the router if you were getting the "duplicate administrator message" you must have had a session on your pc and laptop open and this cleared when u switched off your pc

as SuperPP says always setup your router by connecting to it physically with an ethernet cable that way if you screw up the wireless config u wont lose contact with it

also make changes 1 at a time so if you do have probs u know what caused it , if you have already set up the WPA/SK feature on the router all u have 2 do is scan for your network again and then highlight it and hit the connect button it will then ask you to enter the PreSharedKey and away you go

cheers

Sorted, I hadn,t got the Belkin wireless client utillity installed, once I,d done it it was a breeze, If only I'd read the book lol

Back