what settings to pick

GIO

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know quite a bit about wireless networking but theres a few small questions i would like to know to anyone with knowledge, when u pick the desired wireless mode just like below is it better to let it be in auto position or are u better having it at the right mode,im having a few problems with loss of connection and the speed dropping and just wondering do these topics below would they affect it.
imusing a netgear rangemax which sets itself to auto and its a 108mbps one but the cards im using are an asus 802.11g with backward compatibility,would i be better setting the router to g only if u know what i mean.

Select the desired wireless mode. The options are:

g & b - Both 802.11g and 802.11b wireless stations can be used.
g only - Only 802.11g wireless stations can be used.
b only - All 802.11b wireless stations can be used. 802.11g wireless stations can still be used if they can operate in 802.11b mode.
Auto 108 Mbps - All 802.11g, 802.11b and NETGEAR 108 Mbps wireless stations can be used.
Note: If you select 108 Mbps mode, the WPN824 will only use channel 6.
The default is "g & b", which allows both "g" and "b" wireless stations to access this device.

and my security options i have set at WPA-PSK TKIP using a password, would i be better with WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES], all the extra options in this bit are a bit confusing as u can still just use the same password for all these bits.

Security Options

Disable - no data encryption
WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) - use WEP 64 or 128 bit data encryption
WPA-PSK [TKIP] - Wi-Fi Protected Access with Pre-Shared Key, use WPA-PSK standard encryption with TKIP encryption type
WPA2-PSK [AES] - Wi-Fi Protected Access version 2 with Pre-Shared Key, use WPA2-PSK standard encryption with the AES encryption type
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] - Allow clients using either WPA-PSK [TKIP] or WPA2-PSK [AES]

thanks in advance
gio

Hi,

I'd set it to "g only" since the asus network card wont work at 108Mbps.
Having said that, the disconnections are unlikely to be solved by doing this.

tick this option for security - "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]".
"WPA-PSK [TKIP]" is secure and compatible with all network cards while
WPA-PSK [AES] is compatible with newer network cards.

obwan

If you select g & b everything will work at 54M (g) unless you have an old b device around. If this communicates then the WHOLE network goes down to b standards. So as obwan said, it is best to stick with g.

Back