WOW Variant 1

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
I thought I'd try a Wurzel's Orange Wine variant.

WOW Variant 1

M&S didn't have anything that I could identify as white grape juice so I just picked something that had grapes in it and hoped for the best. There was a dissapointing choice really.

I settled for this Simply M&S Orange Juice and the Pure Grape & Raspberry Juice, both having some sort of concentrate base. You need the type without sulphites (preservatives) in or this will inhibit the yeast. Some people say they can't tell the difference between brewer's sugar (inverted sugar) and cane sugar but as it's 99p for cane sugar and £2 for brewer's sugar we shall risk it.

DW - Ingredients Front.jpg DW - Ingredients Back.jpg

I've previously only made kits so a trip to Wilkinsons was in order as was an excursion to a proper home brew shop for a good yeast. I was surprised at how cheap Wilkos was, it's been that long since I saw a price tag under one pound. Note that this is a robust yeast (Vintner's Harvest CL23) that will work in a wide range of temperatures and tolerate up to 18% ethanol if required. I also got a cheap 200ml bottle of glycerine from a chemist, this adds a texture to the wine.

DW - Additives.jpg

Method

I'm fermenting in a 5L water bottle that has a little more headroom than the 4.5L required. I didn't get round to boring the cap for a bung and airlock so I'm just using the cap loose (do not tighten it!).

• I left a litre of water in the bottle and added the juices (decant into bottles)
  • Add 2.5ml glycerine
  • Add 2g yeast nutrient (5g total incrementally over a few days)
  • Add 1g pectolase
  • Add 890g sugar
  • Add cup of cooled strong tea for tannin
  • Top up with water to just over 4.5L (Do not do this as you can't add more sugar if you want >13%)
  • Add 4g CL23 yeast (sealed it for another batch soon)
  • Shake

This brought the starting specific gravity to 1.090 although more sugar will be added when this ferments down to a SG of about 1.010. I'm a bit bored of the 10% kit wine (supposedly 12% but I can't see how it's possible) so I'm going to make something a bit stronger. Counting the sugar from the juices (which was lower than I expected) we now have 1.086kg sugar in 4.5L which I measured at a SG of approximately 1.090.

From potential alcohol tables (search it) we require 1.453kg per 4.5L to achieve 16.3% ethanol so the extra will be fed in as the yeast works. Depending on how that tastes I'll decide what to do next :).

A day later there is quite a lot of stuff floating but hopefully that will be alright :). I assume it's pulp of some sort.

DW - Fermenting.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone spot my deliberate mistake?

I filled it to 4.5L and can't get any more sugar in :(. Well, I managed to get 20g in.

So, that's 1106g of sugar in just over 4.5L so that should ferment to somewhere just over 12% depending on how dry it goes. That's about standard and will probably taste better but I'll be trying a stronger one next.

The pulp is mainly at the bottom now and there has been a "snow globe" effect going on since fermentation properly started.

Just tested the SG at 1.028 so that's about 8% ethanol at the moment.

Now it's 1.012 which is just over 10% ethanol. This is a fast yeast indeed.

Down to 1.004 which is just over 11% ethanol now. I was going to rack it at 1.000 and let it ferment out in a demijohn but I think I'll leave it in here and stabilise and clear it in a demijohn.

It was down to a specific gravity of 0.992 earlier with a little fermentation activity ongoing. I racked it to a demijohn and airlocked it to ferment out.

you can see a fair amount of lees in the primary fermenter from the juice pulp.

DW - WOW Variant 1 Lees.jpg

Probably tomorrow I'll add a crushed Campdens tablet and some Wilko stabiliser. It has started to clear itself but I have some finings to add to speed things up. It will probably completely clear itself but that can take time. Lower temperatures will help clearing and it is quite cold in here at the moment.

DW - WOW Variant 1 Colour.jpg

I'm not sure what the colour will be when it clears :).

From what I read today, I need to clear before I stabilise!

I bought some Kwik Clear finings last week, £4.50 worth will treat 135 ~ 270 litres. I bought a medicine syringe from the chemist to measure it and get it into the demijohn. I'm cleaning the syringe in case something bad happens if you get a small amount of one fining into the other as it is a two part liquid pack. Maybe I should get another one.

The WOW Variant 1 seemed to be clearing a bit by itself as sediment was forming at the bottom but the top was still opaque. From the Kwik Clear box I added 1ml from bottle A and swirled the demijohn to mix (all the sediment at the bottom came up again). As directed on the package, 30 minutes later I added 1ml from bottle B and swirled again to mix.

Within an hour, clumps were visible and falling to the bottom. A bit later a more clear layer had appeared on the surface and it seems to be getting lower. I thought there might be a pectin haze due to not adding enough pectolase but we shall see what happens.

If it clears I'll rack this again before before doing anything else.

Last edited:
I have racked the wine again to get it off the secondary sediment as shown below. In the end I didn't stabilise the wine because I let it ferment out and it will be consumed fairly quickly I think. I'll leave it a while to see what changes.

DW - Secondary Sediment.jpg

It cleared after the addition of 1ml finings but took a few days in a cool area.

It's... Pink... The colour doesn't show too well but it is quite a bright pink.

DW - Glass.jpg

It is quite clear, it could probably be better.

DW - Glass Close.jpg

It tastes a bit "fizzy" and slightly hot but I think this might flatten out after some maturing. Double check the sugar content because this does seem more than the intended alcohol % ABV :).

Not bad for what went into it, I can't taste much orange as such, there is definitely a raspberry taste. I don't drink pink wines so can't really compare it but I do swap a bottle of it with someone at Christmas, I feel an experiment coming on :). I doubt they will know it used to be a couple of cartons of juice.

I can read the screen through the actual demijohn now, the haze has completely gone :). Fizzyness seems to be leaving but it tastes suspiciously strong in alcohol, not unplesant but it's there.

There seems to be a gap at the top of the demijohn now, evaporation :whistle:.

DW - Demijohn.jpg DW - Demijohn Close.jpg

Last edited:
excellent post.... ;)

Whats it like? what strength is it then?

very interesting......

Dry, quite sharp raspberry taste and it should be somewhere between 12% and 13% but it seems more. It could be the taste or I might have somehow added more sugar, I didn't think I did.

Maybe if it gets to mature longer it would round off a bit more.

ha! nice, bet you end up suddenly mortal off it......

I think one will be heading to the shops me self. :)

I'd like a nice red, if at all possible...It's came on leaps and bounds since the old demijohn hidden under the stairs with a 60w light bulb under it,I love the idea of being able to add a flavor...

Back