Would I Lose my data?

B517

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there i have the computer with the following hard drives:

40GB Internal Maxtor Primary Drive - Contains OS and other files
80GB Internal Seagate Baracudda - Dynamic Drive - Contains Music/Video

I have a spare 160GB drive lying about which I have bought an external enclosure for but for some reason XP is not recognising the external drive even though i have set it upa nd tried driverent combo's with the jumper settings.

For testing purposes I would like to take the 80GB dynamic drive and put in the 160GB to see if it is the drive that is the problem.
Would doing this erase the data i have on my 80GB drive when i come to install it in my PC again later?

No mate, your drive contents will be safe.

Just read my post again, surprised at my spelling errors haha!

If you ever do lose any data there are plenty progs that will recover it for you. Some give free trials so enough time to get things back you may have deleted by mistake.

Thanks for the responses , just tried it and its safe waheyy!

now i know my 160GB is a mojorr duff
so much for a enclosure huh, think i might just get the lacie 500gb

Are you sure it's duff and just doesn't need reformatting?

The drive won't show up in My Computer if Windows doesn't recognise it.

Go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel and then Computer Management. The disk would be shown in Disk Management if it's working. You could then format it from here.

Are you sure it's duff and just doesn't need reformatting?

The drive won't show up in My Computer if Windows doesn't recognise it.

Go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel and then Computer Management. The disk would be shown in Disk Management if it's working. You could then format it from here.

yep pretty sure it's a duff

The hard drive spins ok - a few clicks on start up but i have googled it but only lasts for around 2 secs (googled and all is normal for seagate drives), just doesnt show in my computer or Disk Management, i also get slave errors when its connected upon start up.

Thanks for the responses , just tried it and its safe waheyy!

now i know my 160GB is a mojorr duff
so much for a enclosure huh, think i might just get the lacie 500gb

Lacie drives are cheap, but notorious for failing. Dodgy controller boards, watch out ;)

Lacie drives are cheap, but notorious for failing. Dodgy controller boards, watch out ;)

Oh bummer!
I've thought they were really good with some of the reviews on amazon etc
whats the alternative then for around £65 ?

Back