Linux Work Help...Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, doing my nut in at the moment. I'm setting up a proxy server (NetSweeper) which uses CentOS 6. I need to affiliate it to a domain for authentication to be passed from the directory groups (which is done using a directory sync pointing to the CN/OU names) so it allows SSO.

Anyway, I need samba and kerberos installed, yet I keep hitting a brick wall with missing dependencies.

basically i've navigated to yum.repos.d, downloaded the sernet-samba.repo:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

and run the install as:

yum install -y krb5-libs krb5-workstation samba3 samba3-winbind

If i browse via windows to RepoView: SerNet Samba RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Yum Repository I can see the lib files, tried to install them but it still returns missing dependencies... :grayno:

I've tried a few variations, but consistently hit the same. Any help appreciated?

Code:

Last edited:
yum install -y was wise?

May not be fast M8 - send some versions so I can have a nose :)

yum install -y was wise?

May not be fast M8 - send some versions so I can have a nose :)

It's what's recommended from the documentation I have. The problem I also have is that the last update to our internal "install" docs was in 2011, and for version 2.6 of NS, where as now I'm running 3.1.

The actual documentation says to use Samba 3.4, RHEL 5 and kerberos 5, i changed the repo to the latest though.

Last edited:
Back off a bit - enough repo shit lol You should have done a yum update then installed the version linked to your centOS version. Do you remember what you installed? Can you do a 'purge' to get rid of whatever you installed so we are back to before you started? Please tell me this isn't a production server lol

Back off a bit - enough repo shit lol You should have done a yum update then installed the version linked to your centOS version. Do you remember what you installed? Can you do a 'purge' to get rid of whatever you installed so we are back to before you started? Please tell me this isn't a production server lol

It's not live, it's a new build. I haven't installed anything yet. You have to remember this is a "base centos build" from a custom ISO, the actual repo and updates are from netsweeper in which none of these that I actually need exist.

just checked mate, its CentOS 5.8 2.6.18-308.131.e15

Tried to do an rpm install for the libraries for samba using

Code:

and i get a further dependency:

libwbclient.so.0()(64bit) is needed by libsmbclient0-3.6.12-44.el5.x86_64

I've also changed the repo to
Code:
and i seem to actually get further but still missing the above dependency

Last edited:
Ok, tried to install the Yum Utilities so I can use yum-buildep to build the dependencies, still no dice, in fact it doesnt actually appear to install the utils.

I'm not sure why this process is so complicated?

Samba and Kerberos are part of a standard distro so:

sudo -s
yum update
yum install samba samba-winbind

Should have been all you needed to get Samba installed?

To get AD authentication using kerberos you probably only need the client

yum install krb5-libs krb5-workstation

Downloading repos and rpms can result in mismatched library versions and is probably why you're getting so many dependency errors.

That said, you have the documentation - does it give any reasons for doing things that way, like patches or bug fixes?

I'm not sure why this process is so complicated?

Samba and Kerberos are part of a standard distro so:

sudo -s
yum update
yum install samba samba-winbind

Should have been all you needed to get Samba installed?

To get AD authentication using kerberos you probably only need the client

yum install krb5-libs krb5-workstation

Downloading repos and rpms can result in mismatched library versions and is probably why you're getting so many dependency errors.

That said, you have the documentation - does it give any reasons for doing things that way, like patches or bug fixes?

Not on this build....

I've done those from the get go and had nothing but dependency issues, which is exactly why I went down the route of having to add the other repos.

This is exactly how it tells me to do it (from 3 years ago) and in an earlier version of the product

Code:

edit smb.conf add some entries

Code:
(which returned dependencies missing and wouldn't install)

edit krb5.conf add some entries

Naturally because the install hasn't completed I can't get to:

/usr/kerberos/bin/kinit (your domain username)
/usr/bin/net ads join -U (your domain username)

service smb start
service winbind start
chkconfig smb on
chkconfig winbind on
chown root:squid /var/lib/samba/winbindd_privileged

yum install krb5-libs krb5-workstation works if I do a --nogpgcheck

That's only a check to see if the rpm is signed? You may have to do the installs one by one, note the dependency error(s) and then run a yum list to find out if there's a library installed at a different version level.

yum list installed | grep 'firstpartoflibraryname'

If it's there but the versions don't match you'll know whether the rpms are later or earlier than you need.

Either way, knowing the library names that are missing you can search for suitable rpms...

It's a bit hit and miss though!

May be a silly question - it is the 64bit distro of CentOS?

You could also try:

yum whatprovides libc.so.6 (or whatever you're missing)

Then install whatever yum suggests contains the dependency! This assumes it can find it within the listed repos though.

Last edited:
That's only a check to see if the rpm is signed? You may have to do the installs one by one, note the dependency error(s) and then run a yum list to find out if there's a library installed at a different version level.

yum list installed | grep 'firstpartoflibraryname'

If it's there but the versions don't match you'll know whether the rpms are later or earlier than you need.

Either way, knowing the library names that are missing you can search for suitable rpms...

It's a bit hit and miss though!

May be a silly question - it is the 64bit distro of CentOS?

Yes, 64 bit.

I have actually managed to get it to semi-work, another step on anyway. kbint at least prompts me for a password for the domain user credentials specified in krb5.conf

just trying to join the domain and keep getting

Code:

My fault, I had the realm in smb.conf set to

realm-

instead of

realm =

Doh!

Once it's working it may be worth running a dependencies check as a precaution :)

Still not convinced I have it running properly to be fair, looks like Samba isn't installed correctly as I couldn't start/find the service, and although I have kerberos setup the user credentials are not being passed from AD to squid so they can authenticate. (get a web cache authentication error after the test user credentials don't pass)

The good news is at least (for me) is that (as a non domain affiliated user) I can browse using the default categories with it filtering the content.

doing a wbinfo -t comes back successful though.

Also I have to manually start winbind everytime the server re-boots.

Forgive me, but what do i need to run to check dependencies, my head is totally battered looking at this and decided to pack it in for the evening and come home.

Last edited:
Do 'yum deplist samba' etc. to get a list of dependencies then do 'yum list installed | grep 'whateverpackageis' to find out if it's installed. You can skip the quotes.

You'll probably need to do a 'chkconfig winbind on' to make winbind start on boot...

[Thread locked until Monday - it's the weekend] ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back