Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

work experience = free workers for tesco's

Hightower, I can see where your coming from but surely you can agree that tescos are hardly in need of cheap labour, as i've said earlier, why not get them helping charities? small local businesses or even helping out the council with their maintinence duties?

besides, not everyone on the dole is sitting on their arses taking advantage and spending your money. I hope you didnt just read that in the daily fail. :)

Last edited:
Perhaps the council don't want volunteers because of the hassle in supervising them and training them. Honestly, it will take more effort than you think to take on volunteers.

Perhaps the council don't want volunteers because of the hassle in supervising them and training them. Honestly, it will take more effort than you think to take on volunteers.

but sainsburys where i work do it and they get a days induction by the store trainer who is working at the store anyway then handed over to the relevent department managers, they get shown what to do and then you'd never know they werent technically employed by sainsburys, it isnt much effort at all. Maybe theres certain insurance and paperwork involved behind the scenes, i dont know.

the problem is they will not take on any new full time staff. they will just do the same thing again and again.

Margaret Thatcher lives on this is just the YTS Youth Training Scheme updated.. they made 16 and 17 year olds do it under Thatcher. ended up with even more on the dole...

If he doesn't want to work for 'free' then why doesn't he stop signing on? Labour have drilled it in the heads of so many that they can have stuff for nothing. There's people on here struggling to survive by being an honest hard worker, yet benefit claimants can have the life of Riley by doing nothing? Is that the kind of attitude you want your son to have?

Your son should have to work for his job seekers - why should he sit at home all day on his PS3 on my dollar? The whole scheme is designed to give your son valuable work experience so he has something on others putting in for the same job.

As for Tesco getting free labour? I doubt that - they have to train them, and then supervise them and so on. Ok, so it's not a wage they are paying out put they have comittment and responsibility as well.

As for the comment about his son living in a country on it's arse that was through no fault of his own - well that might be true, but that doesn't mean that sitting on his arse claiming a wage for nothing is going to solve it.

Sorry i haven't worked out how to use the multi quote function yet.

"If he doesn't want to work for 'free' then why doesn't he stop signing on? Labour have drilled it in the heads of so many that they can have stuff for nothing."

He is entitled to benefit to enable him to find a job and live, would you like to work for free?

"There's people on here struggling to survive by being an honest hard worker, yet benefit claimants can have the life of Riley by doing nothing?"

I have worked for 20yrs without any gaps, this is my first time unemployed, it's difficult to live the life of Riley on £65 per week.

"Is that the kind of attitude you want your son to have?"

How do you know what kind of attitude his son has?

"Your son should have to work for his job seekers - why should he sit at home all day on his PS3 on my dollar? "

Again you are assuming things again, how do you know what his son does?

"The whole scheme is designed to give your son valuable work experience so he has something on others putting in for the same job."

No it isn't and stacking shelves isn't a valuble skill, anyone can do it, if they need people to do it they should pay them.

As for Tesco getting free labour? I doubt that - they have to train them, and then supervise them and so on. Ok, so it's not a wage they are paying out put they have comittment and responsibility as well.

They do get free labour and stacking shelves hardly requires training, would you be committed to an employer that doesn't pay a wage.

"As for the comment about his son living in a country on it's arse that was through no fault of his own - well that might be true, but that doesn't mean that sitting on his arse claiming a wage for nothing is going to solve it."

This i agree with but making people work for nothing isn't the solution either.
You seem pretty convinced that the guy's son is a lazy boy who doesn't want to work, how do you know or do you automatically assume that all unemployed are lazy?
Like i said earlier, i have worked all my days and i find unemplyment a horrible experience and ive tried hard and applied for countless jobs.
When ive spoken to people like you in person who also think unemplyment is a big party and are in favour of right wing slave schemes i ask them two questions.

When was the last time you were unemployed?
Would you be happy to work for nothing?

Jesus, only came hear to learn things about my pc and xbox ..lol

it's to the right of reply with quote mate :) click it and a tick will appear click another and so on, then click reply to post/thread

:)

it's to the right of reply with quote mate :) click it and a tick will appear click another and so on, then click reply to post/thread

:)

Thanks mate, haven't had the time yet to look at the stickies and functions..

I can see where Hightower is coming from, however I would rather they used them to cut the grass, pick up litter. The things the council have cut back on, why should I pay for someone on JSA, and they sit on their arse and do nothing. Its making them work for their JSA monies.

@hightower
Your right he is a bum that wants to sit at home and do nothing (also a member here if he wants to defend himself ?), I wouldn't have a problem with him getting shopping, cleaning etc for the old and the infirm, Or even working in a little one man band factory unit where a cheap pair of hands can get the business off the ground.
I resent a multi national, multi billion pound company getting seasonal staff to keep their shelves stocked up at my expenses so they can earn bigger profits.

Are you this hightower Rod Hightower | LinkedIn ?
I had dealings with him when he was •Vice President, GM EMEA at York International ,He wanted us to work for nothing as well. Je left in 2005 we were then told that we were closing in 2006 but it looks like he hasn't done so bad.

I love it when people say others should work for nothing but wouldn't consider it themselves, shows the mentality I suppose and how easily people are set into certain mindsets by the press, You will want them in ghetto's next, then after that gas chambers so they are not spending your hard earned dollar ?

Last edited:
He is entitled to benefit to enable him to find a job and live, would you like to work for free?

There's that word 'entitled' again. There used to be a time when if you wanted something you had to go get it - nobody was entitled to anything.

I have worked for 20yrs without any gaps, this is my first time unemployed, it's difficult to live the life of Riley on £65 per week.

I literally meant benefit claimants, not job seekers, so looking back this is way off topic. As an example, my mother in law receives disability and it is £100 a month more than my partner gets for busting her ass in a 40 hour week in a quite well paid job. But I digress, off topic.

How do you know what kind of attitude his son has?

"Your son should have to work for his job seekers - why should he sit at home all day on his PS3 on my dollar? "

Again you are assuming things again, how do you know what his son does?

Forgive me, I wasn't speaking particularly about Ellies's son in this case, just job seekers in general. Perhaps this view is wrong, but in my experience the majority are riding the system while people wanting to work struggle to find work.

No it isn't and stacking shelves isn't a valuble skill, anyone can do it, if they need people to do it they should pay them.

Stacking shelves isn't what is taught. The teaching comes when the job seeker learns good working ethics, and gets them in the right frame of mind to want to find work. For example, a lot of people don't realise that from work you can make friends, and create a good social life from it. Putting them in first hand experience might show them this, and then in turn have them think that working has more benefits than just earning a wage.

They do get free labour and stacking shelves hardly requires training.

Erm, in this day and age, the 21st century, every company has a responsibility for health and safety. I know first hand what this entails, and whether on the wage books or not, Tesco's will have to provide some form of training and supervision.

This i agree with but making people work for nothing isn't the solution either.

It isn't working for nothing! What's this £65 per week? A gift?

You seem pretty convinced that the guy's son is a lazy boy who doesn't want to work, how do you know or do you automatically assume that all unemployed are lazy?

Again, I wasn't speaking directly of this gents son - I was speaking of my own experience, of a whole, of the unemployed. Of course there are genuinely people who are desperate to find work, and this 'free' work can only benefit the job seeker - at the minimum it shows a willing to work and experience in some fields. I got where I was today through experience, not qualifications - I know it speaks as loud, if not louder than someone with some quals.

When was the last time you were unemployed?
Fortunately (and I am extremely appreciative of this) I have never been unemployed in my life. From leaving school I've always had some form of employement.[/QUOTE]

Would you be happy to work for nothing?
Like I've said before, it's not working for nothing. It's not a full wage but I don't think it can be received as a free gift off the state either. If I was receiving any kind of cheque from the state I think I'd want to try and do something to 'earn' it, and the best way I can earn that cheque is to find employment so I can start paying it back to the state. I think if I'd been out of work long enough for them to start volunteering me (is it a year before they do this did someone say?) I'd appreciate the experience that would go down on my CV and help me stand out from others when applying for jobs.

....sorry, multi-quote not working here.

I can see where Hightower is coming from, however I would rather they used them to cut the grass, pick up litter. The things the council have cut back on.

Yes, I can agree that it might be more beneficial for them to carry out tasks in the community that people are going to be more appreciative of. It will also help bring the community together, and also help them (and me) understand that not all unemployed are a bunch of lazy layabouts.

@hightower
Your right he is a bum that wants to sit at home and do nothing (also a member here if he wants to defend himself ?), I wouldn't have a problem with him getting shopping, cleaning etc for the old and the infirm, Or even working in a little one man band factory unit where a cheap pair of hands can get the business off the ground.
I resent a multi national, multi billion pound company getting seasonal staff to keep their shelves stocked up at my expenses so they can earn bigger profits.

Forgive me, when saying 'he' is a layabout (or whatever may have seemed directed at him) I meant the job seekers in my experience, as a whole. He may well not fall into this category I have created, and forgive me if he doesn't. I am not in a position to say, and therefore can only speak of the unemployed as my experience dictates.

Also, I agree that his skills could be better put to use somewhere else, somewhere more beneficial to a small local business, and somewhere where he can possibly be taught some real skills as well as having a real chance to be taken on full time if the business succeeds.

Are you this hightower Rod Hightower | LinkedIn ?
I had dealings with him when he was •Vice President, GM EMEA at York International ,He wanted us to work for nothing as well. Je left in 2005 we were then told that we were closing in 2006 but it looks like he hasn't done so bad.
Blocked here, but no, that's not me. The nickname comes because I am big like the Police Academy Hightower.

I love it when people say others should work for nothing but wouldn't consider it themselves, shows the mentality I suppose and how easily people are set into certain mindsets by the press, You will want them in ghetto's next, then after that gas chambers so they are not spending your hard earned dollar ?

Yes, I would consider it myself, and most probably appreciate what people are doing for me. All I want is people to understand that nothing comes from doing nothing. If he can't find work, but genuinly wants to then that's too bad, and I sincerely wish him luck for his future job hunting. But on the other hand, if he doesn't want to find work and is happy to receive whatever his job seekers cheque is every week, then that mentality is wrong and he shouldn't be able to receive this cheque for nothing.

Once again, please accept my apologies - my comments weren't aimed at your son. I'm just sick of so many people in this country constantly taking and not bothered what they put back.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Last edited:
@hightower.
You were correct in your assertion that he is workshy, I havn't denied this.

It's the fact that instead of doing something to help the community or small businesses to pick up the job centre have allocated him a position at tesco's stocking shelves till xmas eve which has cost someone that wants a job their position as a seasonal worker.

I feel that this is an abuse of the work experience by a large company to cut their wages bill and actually increase the number of unemployed by actively chosing free labour over what would normally be seasonal temp staff.

I hope I have made myself clear on what cmy whinge is about.

I am for work experience but more for in the community or small local businesses that are struggling in these difficult times.

@hightower.

Perhaps he is, but this wasn't the assertion I made before. Who am I to know if your son is work shy or not. I was merely talking my experience of the unemployed as a whole.
It's the fact that instead of doing something to help the community or small businesses to pick up the job centre have allocated him a position at tesco's stocking shelves till xmas eve which has cost someone that wants a job their position as a seasonal worker.

I feel that this is an abuse of the work experience by a large company to cut their wages bill and actually increase the number of unemployed by actively chosing free labour over what would normally be seasonal temp staff.

I am for work experience but more for in the community or small local businesses that are struggling in these difficult times.

This, I can fully understand and whole heartedly agree with. Perhaps a quick email to his local job centre might get them thinking otherwise too.

@hightower.

a perfect example of this is my local british heart foundation furniture shop are crying out for volunteers, huge sign on the front of the shop, why arent people sent there? instead of £esco's who, as said, would have employed christmas temps instead. its the rich getting richer again.

Took the words right out my mouth mate :)

I know the likes of "The Sun" are renowned for their crad reporting, but I am sure they would love to give the gov one in the nuts and whack this on its front page.

I think it is disgusting, not that they are forced into working for free (or their benefits) but for a multi ££££££ company to gain from it - losing temps jobs as well.

Is this the same thing?

theukjobsite.co.uk/job/tesco-work-experience-walkden-salford/4e95345143d932c0720014fc/

Job Description

30 hours per week. tues - saturday between 9 am and 10 pm.

To gain the most from the placement for both the individual and Tesco, the following criteria will be used to select the suitable candidates:- Have an interest in working within Retail- Be confident and able to work in a team.- Excited about working with customers- Friendly and helpful attitude.- Adaptable- Willing to make the most of the opportu. - You will also need to prove your legal right to work in the UK by taking your current passport, full (long) birth certificate or Visa/Work Permit to any interview.Dress Code: Uniforms will not be provided; all candidates will be expected to wear suitable black and white clothing and black shoes. No trainers are to be worn.

I couldn't see myself being "Excited about working with customers- Friendly and helpful attitude.- Adaptable- Willing to make the most of the opportu" if I were to be sent.

Last edited:
Is this the same thing?

theukjobsite.co.uk/job/tesco-work-experience-walkden-salford/4e95345143d932c0720014fc/

Job Description

30 hours per week. tues - saturday between 9 am and 10 pm.

To gain the most from the placement for both the individual and Tesco, the following criteria will be used to select the suitable candidates:- Have an interest in working within Retail- Be confident and able to work in a team.- Excited about working with customers- Friendly and helpful attitude.- Adaptable- Willing to make the most of the opportu. - You will also need to prove your legal right to work in the UK by taking your current passport, full (long) birth certificate or Visa/Work Permit to any interview.Dress Code: Uniforms will not be provided; all candidates will be expected to wear suitable black and white clothing and black shoes. No trainers are to be worn.

I couldn't see myself being "Excited about working with customers- Friendly and helpful attitude.- Adaptable- Willing to make the most of the opportu" if I were to be sent.

At the end of the day, for most people their biggest driver is money. People in whatever guise may skirt around it at interviews, talk about a career, cloud the need and interest in a particular area (such as retail) just to get the job, so why do companies write this crap. I mean seriously how can you get excited about "beep beep beep, you know that's on offer"; "I have a coupon" or "stack that shelf" while being asked by some woman pushing her pram in her PJ's "where are the farleys rusks" or "do these tampons come with wings"

God damn, makes me almost want to do the job for free....

Anyway, i digress.

Last edited:
Back