Word Of Warning About Win7

TheWakeUpCall

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a word of warning, I installed the windows 7 RC1 on a partition and it deactivated my Vista installation. So you might want to think twice if you are just going to install it to mess about.

did you click "custom" on installing which gives you the option where to install, ive just done it on my Vista lappy and now got the choice of OS's on boot by default now, no need to mess around with boot loaders.

Hi everyone,

Just a word of warning, I installed the windows 7 RC1 on a partition and it deactivated my Vista installation. So you might want to think twice if you are just going to install it to mess about.

It must be pointed out, that, MS recommend a FULL, not upgrade install. its also not a good idea to "twin boot" it, either. its an RC, not a full program.

unless you are up to sorting problems like the above, don't install it. its hard enough to keep up with the problems MS wrote. without dealing with problems from people who don't know what they are doing! no offence meant, but at least, basic knowledge is needed. and it is clear that is lacking in this case. booting with a Vista cd. will allow you to navigate to the "Recovery" partition, to re install the Vista image.

it really is a bad idea to install this on a "working" machine. its not what the RC was designed for.

Last edited:
Actually, I have vast experience with partitions and multibooting, before installing windows 7 I was already dual booting XP and Vista.

I did choose custom fresh install, and I did not do an upgrade install. I didn't say I did an upgrade install.

My HDD has three partitions, I put Win 7 on the third in a fresh install, and it was completely separate to Vista, yet after installing on a separate partition Vista became deactivated.

And by deactivated, I don't mean blue screening or whatever, I meant that the actual 'activation' feature of windows about genuine advantage became undone. I have now sorted that out.

Maybe you should read the post twice Boboboy, before saying things like "without dealing with problems from people who don't know what they are doing! no offence meant, but at least, basic knowledge is needed. and it is clear that is lacking in this case."

I know what im doing. I have more than basic knowledge.

I didn't come on here asking for help, I posted this to warn others that installing windows 7 with a fresh install on a partition might deactivate your vista installation like it did to mine, and it probably isn't worth the hassle if you're just installing it to see what it's like.

I take it, its a acquired version of Vista.

Just use vistaloader4.1 to reactivate it.

it really is a bad idea to install this on a "working" machine. its not what the RC was designed for.

it's a release candidate for testers - it's meant to be tested in all environments - home or business. they release like this because it IS almost the finished product - they're shipping RTM's in 2 months - it's not going to change it that much, just a few final patches

Safer to use a 2nd hard drive to install Windows7, to play with or even downloading virtual pc from microsoft and install windows 7 on there. Virual pc works on xp pro, vista business or ultimate

Back