wireless router or gateway?

lefty1

Inactive User
Reaction score
right guys, im in need of wireless at home as im getting sick n tired of tripping over my cables. I have a pc upstairs and one downstairs. I connect through a telephone line which is connected to my wired router. The wired router is then connected with rj45s running from my pc upstairs and downstairs. Someone suggeste to my that i needed a gateway but im unsure? Why would i need a gateway? Also once ive got this wireless connection to the internet, id like to network my printer too how would i do this? at the moment im with plus.net, would i need to inform them about the wireless?

thanks a bunch in advance peeps

rach

Your best bet would be to get a combined ADSL modem & wireless router. These typically come with wired ports too so you can continue to use a wired connection if you want to. The router in this instance would be the gateway to the internet. You would also need wireless network cards for your PCs, I suppose you could use USB dongles but a fixed card would be better.

Unless they require that you do need to inform then under their terms, you shouldn't need to inform PlusNet as it doesn't require any additional services from them.

Printer sharing shouldn't be too much of a problem under this setup, it should just be a matter of enabling sharing on the properties window of the printer.

h thanks for that. I've got an assl 4 port us robotics router, its excellent had no probs, except its not a wireless one. Its a 2 in 1 router with modem too and i spent bucks on it. Il have to buy the same one with it being wireless and sell this one off? Do you have any recommendations on any wireless routers?

thanks!

If you want to you can buy a wireless router and connect it to your existing router. This would effectively just add wireless to your exisiting setup. You would need something like this:
Linksys Wireless Router

To replace your existing router something like this would be suitable:
Linksys ADSL / Wireless Router

Either way you would achieve the same end result. I don't have ADSL myself but I am using a Linksys wireless router in conjunction with cable and I'm happy with the coverage that I've got from it.

rachit said:
h thanks for that. I've got an assl 4 port us robotics router, its excellent had no probs, except its not a wireless one. Its a 2 in 1 router with modem too and i spent bucks on it. Il have to buy the same one with it being wireless and sell this one off? Do you have any recommendations on any wireless routers?

thanks!

You wont get much for a 4 port router these days

Back