wireless networking , cant find printer

sullly

Inactive User
Reaction score
wireless network ,, success at last

have set up a wireless router between mine and my daughters pc , when i try to add printer to second pc it does not find the printer installed on mine , finds both pc's ,

pc's are on same workgroup and can ping each other share the internet connection no bother , i just cant share printers /folders : shocked2

Last edited:
what you need to do is share the printer by going in to printers, right click the printer and select share. Once you have done this do the following.

You nee the ip address of the computer that the printer connects to, to find this out go to the computer and do start, run, cmd
press enter, now type ipconfig
press enter again and you will see various numbers, the one you are interested in is the IP address which will look something like this
once you have the ip address go to the other computer and do start run \\192.168.1.1 (replacing address with the correct one)
hit return and you will see the printer, right click the printer and select connect. that is it, you will always be connected to that printer now.

Remember you wil only be able to print if you have the computer switched on

Let me know how it goes

Capdan

You nee the ip address of the computer that the printer connects to, to find this out go to the computer and do start, run, cmd
press enter again and you will see various numbers, the one you are interested in is the IP address which will look something like this
once you have the ip address go to the other computer and do start run \\192.168.1.1 (replacing address with the correct one)
hit return and you will see the printer, right click the printer and select connect. that is it, you will always be connected to that printer now.

Let me know how it goes

Capdan

tried this getting the ip address , when i search for it tells me i cant access it because i may not have permission to do so ,contact administrator , turned modem off and shut down anti virus so it was just the network connection between pc's ,,, any ides

it is also asking me for a password to access shared folders , but i didnt put any on it

cheers for the replles

Last edited:
sullly said:

Let me know how it goes

Capdan

tried this getting the ip address , when i search for it tells me i cant access it because i may not have permission to do so ,contact administrator , turned modem off and shut down anti virus so it was just the network connection between pc's ,,, any ides

it is also asking me for a password to access shared folders , but i didnt put any on it

cheers for the replles

Hi, you said you tried to search for the IP? Did you do the following ?
computer and do start, run, cmd

if so you need to log on as the administrator, go in to control panel and make your username a member of the admin group. once you have done this the above will work

Dan

capdan said:
Hi, you said you tried to search for the IP? Did you do the following ?
computer and do start, run, cmd

if so you need to log on as the administrator, go in to control panel and make your username a member of the admin group. once you have done this the above will work

Dan

what admin group, sorry for the ignorance , new to all this networking stuff

have installed the drivers for printer on second pc , as network printer , main pc is seeing that printer and printing to it , but second wireless pc cant see main pc 's printer and print to that

weird

Last edited:
have installed the drivers for printer on second pc , as network printer , main pc is seeing that printer and printing to it , but second wireless pc cant see main pc 's printer and print to that

weird

got to nip out for a few hours cheers

at last success

its working at last .

downloaded a prog called network magic , printer still never worked nor file sharing but it showed a map of both pc's and printers stating a problem with printer on main pc ,(not installed correctly it said ). , so installed software for printer on both pc's , and moved the printer to the wireless pc , hey presto working , still no file sharing though . dropped firewall on both pcs and allowed file sharing through network magic but still tempermental through the normal windows procedure , dont know why , anybody got a key for this :classic:

http://www.networkmagic.com/product/

Back