wireless network newbie

weeble

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi. ive just got a lappy and i ve connected it through a d-link di-624 router. :proud:
Ive read through the stickies but its all a bit technical for me:FRIGHT:
could anyone tell me ( as if i was a 10 year old ) how to make it secure.
thanks

Hi, The easiest way is to set encryption mate, one method of encryption is called WEP “for ten year old talk think of this a as password” actually does a lot more than this but if you think it is just a password you will be able to set it up and secure your network

Heres what you need to do:-
On your router you should see an option for wireless, then security then WEP. Select WEP and key in a set of characters between 0 – 9 and A – F. doesn’t matter what it is as long as you conform to the rules (should be ten characters long)
Disconnect your laptop from the wireless network then reconnect, you will be asked for the encryption key which is the same as you set in the router.

Have a look at the following link before you set it up. Hope this helps
H**p://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_encrypt.htm

Capdan

Dutcho said:
What I have done with my wireless is also permit the mac code of the wirless machine and block any other one.

how do you find the mac code of the lappy?

Start/connect to/show all connections, double left click on 'local connection' maybe different on ur machine then..... Support/details.

Thiswill bring up all the data of your connection, the Physical address is the mac code.

Another thing you should do straight away is change the default connection name then turn off SSID so it's no longer broardcast/visible to anyone else and then change the default password of the router to stop unauthorised access into the router setup ;)

thanks folks. its easy when you know how.:Clap:

Back