Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wireless link keeps disconnecting

There are many many possible causes here and unless you employ a few tools, you could end up trying this and trying that in the blind hope that something gets better.

Here are a few suggestions, you may want to try some of them.

First, the frequency band that WiFi uses, is also shared by an large (and growing) number of wireless devices, doorbells, CCTV cameras, video senders, garage door openers, shop sliding doors etc etc. So you will need to see the state of other nearby users.
Depending upon your local terrain, your location may be affected by any other wireless device up to 300m away.
If you have access to (beg/borrow) a frequency counter, you can see the occupancy of this band (I just got one from ebay for around 70 quid) these can also be used for testing rf remote controls, keyfobs etc.

Unexplained drops in connection are also a sign of packet injection type attacks, where an intruder causes your existing connection to drop while monitoring the re-connection exchanges and using this data to reconstruct your packets as part of a break in.

Luckily, you can survey your desired location for other WiFi users very easily.
Tools such as Kismet will monitor all of the channels in scan mode and keep a list of nearby wifi stations along with enough data for you to make informed decisions.
Kismet will also show any attempts to associate with your AP along with other local APs and their clients.

Backtrack2 is a downloadable CD image that is bootable on almost any PC/Laptop and is usable immediately (runs off the CD)

There are a range of WiFi survey tools on this distro.

So these are two ways of looking at the radio band in question, both from a WiFi network and a consumer electronics perspective.

One of these will tell you exactly what is happening in the ether.

If your firewall has logging, take a look at any errors being written at the failure times.
The PCs operating system (windows / linux etc) may also have written error logs for these events.

You could also install a sniffer to capture the packets - see what is happening when the connection is dropped.

That should sort it out for you !

Good Luck

What can cause the IP address not to be acquired by the computer, even though the signal is strong?

Encryption being on the network and you not having the password in there.....

Also the network dropping out could be down to the settings on the router.....try hard resetting it (the reset button) and setting it back up again....but this time select channel 6 for your wireless and change the name on the network as by default all Netgear routers are called the same....this could be confusing the router/laptop.

Hope this helps

I have similar problems with Wifi connection dropping on Xp laptop (built in Intel wireless adapter) to Belkin G+ router. During lost internet connectivity I can still access my routers web interface and the LAN settings for BB are all set at 0.0.0.0.
I have found that if I stop the Windows Zero Configuration service after it connects initialy that this fault disappears completly!!!:Clap:
A batch file can be used to stop the service without going thru Control panel, I use one batch file to load both Firefox and then stop WZC.
This example is for Firefox located in the directory quoted. First open notepad and type "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" (including the quotes)
then on a new line type C:\windows\system32\net.exe stop wzcsvc

Save the file to your desktop and rename it StartSurfing.bat, make sure that U have WZC configured to start automatically when Windows loads then just double click the bat file when you want to surf!! This stops WZC from trying to access other networks nearby and results in fewer dropped connections.:banana:

Im not a wizz with computers but often get this problem, I have to remove my wireless device, reset my router and then re install it. Its probably the long way round but it works for me.

Back