Wireless link keeps disconnecting

Jimbo

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can annybody please shed some light on why my wireless link keeps disconecting ? It seems to do it randomly, sometimes I can re-connect, sometimes it re-connects, some times I have to shut down and re-start PC, Modem and router.
I have a Negear Router and NThell Modem connected to my PC in the bedroom and the laptop is generaly in the Living room.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated................Jimbo

Did You checked power saving settings in wireless card software on notebook ?
maybe there are some setting which putting Your card sleep ?

Will have a look thanks. Its an internal wireless card, I wouldnt think that there would be power saving, especially if I am in the middle of doing something, or downloading.

other transmitting items could be effecting the signal, like cordless digital phones, cordless headphones etc etc ..

which soft actually U using for card ? delivered by vendor or windows ? sometimes windows embadded is better.

other transmitting items could be effecting the signal, like cordless digital phones, cordless headphones etc etc ..

I personally dont have any other cordless items, but I do live in a converted flat, so unsure of the chap upstairs

which soft actually U using for card ? delivered by vendor or windows ? sometimes windows embadded is better.

No Idea, its a Sony Vaio laptop running on Vista (and my PC is XP). All I did was search for a network and connected.

Is it a case of going to device manager on the lappy and checking what drivers are installed for the wireless card ??

Not forgetting all your neighbours who are probably also using a wireless router. In some places there are so many people trying to use these things that its next to impossible to keep a connection up for more than a few minutes.

I gave up with wireless long ago in favour of wiring the house up with a proper network. Far more reliable and doesn't cause any hassle as the computer tends to only be used in a few areas within the house.

Is there anyway of checking for interference ? So that I can either discount the problem or give up on Wireless ?

try changing your wireless network channel in your wireless network setting on your router you should have about ten channels to choose from

I personally dont have any other cordless items, but I do live in a converted flat, so unsure of the chap upstairs
switch his mains power off and see if it carries on lol
i had a smililar problem with my internal wireless card and also live in a block of flats, i ended up buying a external pcmcia wireless card with higher power output and its very stable now..

Also.. if you are broadcasting at 11b+g, try to select only one broadcast method on the router. either b or g.

Having a mixed signal can cause issues sometimes.

Also, if you were to have your laptop in the same room as your router, are the disconnections still occuring?

What kind of signal levels do you receive when you have connected are they maximum?

Cheers guys, will have a look tonight and try your suggestions.

KMS - I dont think the connections is at maximum, it is quite good, but not top wack.

The connection generally runs at good. The internet connection only seemed to drop tonight for 30sec or so and then re-connect. But I still seemed to stay connected to my other PC.
If I change either the channel or broadcast method in the router set up, do i have to do something with my laptop/wireless network card to take account of these settings ?
Sorry to sound a bit Fick..........Jimbo

Sorry my mistake, Complete connection gone now- had to type this from the PC !!!!

Last edited:
Mine hs started doing this and I have had the connection for ages, I connect and view webpages then few mins pass and cannotm load webpages and have click on repair, I have a Motorola modem and Belkin router the connection is excellent but has started to disconnect all the time?

If I change either the channel or broadcast method in the router set up, do i have to do something with my laptop/wireless network card to take account of these settings ?

Yes, check your network card properties for the channel. Most of the time it should be auto-detect, but sometimes it might be fixed on a particular channel.

Also, have you tried turning encryption and firewall totally off for a while and see how that reacts with your connection.

It perhaps sounds like maybe the signals are getting weak by something around having an effect, e.g. microvaves or other frequencies. Have you tried shifting your router around. e.g. if its near a wall, try placing it around the center of the room, away from electronics, plugs etc.

Because the router is also attached to my PC, they are both very close, it sits on the PC desk next to the monitor - probably very BAD.
My wife was using the lappy last night and did not switch the PC on - I had just alway assumed that the PC had to be on, as it is a USB NTHELL modem. - (I am new to this if you hadn't already guessed) - Makes sense thinking about it - as disconnected modem usb, and connected modem direct to router and then router to PC. Anyway the point I am getting to is that there was less disruption with the PC off. I did still lose connection tho adventually.

Im having this disconnecting problem, havent 2 weeks ago, Fuckin pissin me off now.

Ive had no problem with me connection for years till now. I play a game for like 5 minuties online and then i get disconnected, no webpages works, and sometimes the modem cable light goes off, then back on again...

That could it be?

Can annybody please shed some light on why my wireless link keeps disconecting ? It seems to do it randomly, sometimes I can re-connect, sometimes it re-connects, some times I have to shut down and re-start PC, Modem and router.
I have a Negear Router and NThell Modem connected to my PC in the bedroom and the laptop is generaly in the Living room.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated................Jimbo
Hi jimbo

Don't know if youve got this fixed yet. What is model number of netgear?

Back