wireless file transfer

delboy13

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a netgear 834m wireless router and a netgear 311t pci card. i have 2 pcs one is wired to router and the other has the pci card. i have created a mapped drive which i can see on both pcs. and when i transfer files from the hard wired pc to wireless pc the fastest transfer speed i have got so far is 8.44mbs. the router is supposed to be upto 300mps. i was wondering is there a faster way to transfer files

Is your network card (hardwired one) a 10meg network card by any chance. also, ensure you know if speeds are mb/s or mB/s. 56kbps modem maxed out at 7kilobytes downloads.
thats to say, your 300mbits/s may max out at 37 megabytes/s

Personally find it's much faster just to throw the files on external usb hdd, then stick it in the computer you want to transfer the files to.

are there any obstructions like walls, furniture etc between the lappy and the router..have you tried transferring via the wired method to see transfer rate.
just to isolate the problem.

on the weekend i will try moving my router about to see if that makes a difference

You need an 802.11N card in your computer to match the router. Your PCI card is an 802.11g card - 8MB/s is ok.

Back