Windows Surface RT

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been thinking about treating myself to one of these, but I have been told you can't install stoffware like NOD32 and flashFXP does anyone know if this is true.

Cheers for looking

i think the rt one is windows rt mate, its not proper windows 8, you can only install stuff from the microsoft app store, you would want a surface pro for full windows 8 when you can installed anything that runs on windows 8,

I have also been looking at one of these as i dont think windows 8 on a computer is that great but I see the RT version is really cut down to what you can install ive not seen the app store but i cant imagine there being that much on there as yet

Technically its a pretty nice bit of kit but Windows RT has to much work to do on it still. Yes, you can only install from their app store and there really isn't a ton of stuff in there. There are other problems are well but it can still the basics like media playback and web browsing well.

RT version is crap. To limited to what you can do. Obviously may suit a lot of people though.
Think they'll be more of a price drop as they can't get shut of them.

I'm thinking about selling my Pro if you are interested?

Windows RT only allows you to install apps from the Store, whereas you can install anything on the Pro

RT version is crap. To limited to what you can do. Obviously may suit a lot of people though.
Think they'll be more of a price drop as they can't get shut of them.

there is a new range coming out in a couple of months, clearing out stock of the existing model. Estimates indicate Microsoft has written off $1.8 BILLION on surface tablets so far but they are still willing to continue pumping more money in.

As I said, for the amount of tech you get for your money they are great devices, just let down by the O/S and support from developers.

I'm thinking about selling my Pro if you are interested?

Windows RT only allows you to install apps from the Store, whereas you can install anything on the Pro

what sort of price are you thinking about m8, as I sent my RT back couldn't install anything.

what sort of price are you thinking about m8, as I sent my RT back couldn't install anything.

Well its the 128GB with touch keyboard. I think they retail at £799 tablet only. Touch keyboard is £100. It's about a month old, boxed.

So I'd be looking for £600

I would hold out for the surface rt as ms are doing new revision 2.0 should be shipping same time with release date 8.1

Leave the RT for the people out there that do not know any better. Anybody with a bit of Windows knowledge will know that RT does not fit in. Microsoft tried to emulate the success that Apple has had with iOS, but it will never happen for RT - quite a few of the OEMS are dropping or have already dropped RT as there is no future in it.

Acer for instance will be dropping Windows tablets all together and stick with Android.

agree with Morilihochili windows RT is doomed Asus dropped Windows RT and looking like RT will have the same fate as VISTA

Back