Win 10 windows 10

no real reason to be rushing into grab this may as well wait till its been released & see the bigger picture

i have declined their offer of free upgrade as i do not wish nor need to run it

This is true there is no rush; we have a whole year from release date. But if we want a free copy of win 10 because we don’t have a key, then I think time is limited if not already too late.

I could be wrong off course but that’s how I understand it at the moment anyway

be aware the free upgrade if you do not have a genuine OS will expire after the first year @least to my knowledge

for those wishing to run it may as well wait & see the end result see if a fix appears

Last edited by a moderator:
be aware the free upgrade if you do not have a genuine OS will expire after the first year @least to my knowledge

for those wishing to run it may as well wait & see the end result see if a fix appears

The way I understand it once you receive the Windows 10 final release build and it’s activated, it remains activated for the lifetime of the machine you originally installed on.

But what do I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes if genuine

also if you like to swap out /upgrade hardware you will need retail OS

not sure free upgrade will cover that

yes if genuine

also if you like to swap out /upgrade hardware you will need retail OS

not sure free upgrade will cover that

This is the question that most insiders have been asking since build 10041 was released.

And this is the very same question that Gabe Aul was addressing when he said:

“I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work”

“As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the Microsoft account you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated.”

I know that Gabe Aul in the past has been ambiguous in answering the questions asked of him about win 10 but this time there is no ambiguity in what he said:

“You will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated”

If you upgrade your hard disk or try and install on a different machine then that’s another story.

That’s how I read it but again what do I know

from the horse’s mouth

Attachments

• horses mouth 1.png
    horses mouth 1.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 9
In an update posted to the Windows blog, Microsoft’s Terry Myerson wrote that the company will be releasing a “very attractive” Windows 10 upgrade offer to those running older devices in a “non-genuine” state. However, Myerson specified that a free upgrade will not be available on non-genuine Windows devices...

depends who you want to believe lol

personally not bothered as not interested in the latest crap release of Windows

I don’t see any contradiction from one statement to the other, one is saying:

“Windows 10 free offer will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices.”

And the other is saying:

“If you’re running an Insider Preview build registered as an insider with your Microsoft account, upgrade to RTM stays genuine.”

We can believe them both. If we clean install a copy of Win 10 preview build with a Microsoft account as an insider, how can they possibly know that we have been running a non genuine Windows device?

Genuine Windows and Windows 10

Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds

you seem hell bent to do it so go ahead

hope it works for you

when my Win 7 dies linux is next option for me

you seem hell bent to do it so go ahead

hope it works for you

when my Win 7 dies linux is next option for me

I’m Sorry Alimac forgive me, re-reading these posts I can see it must seem that way to you. The truth is I’m not sure of anything when it comes to MS. I’m just trying determining whether we can get away with it or not.

At the end of the day regardless of whether we can or not, considering how much time we spend on our operating systems, £100 odd is a very small price to pay for continuing the use of our machines.

With a nod and a wink, Microsoft gives away Windows 10 to anyone who asks

Yes, Microsoft is giving Windows away for free to people who don't technically qualify for the upgrade. That's a good deal, but it's not that big a deal. Here's why.

Microsoft's stated goal is to have Windows 10 running on a billion devices within the first three years after this summer's launch. To reach that huge number, they need to convince hundreds of millions of current Windows users to upgrade.

Asking people to pay means most will say no. So the upgrade is free to the overwhelming majority of current PC users.

You could think of it as a reward for the millions of people who have participated in the Windows Insider program, but there's really a much more practical reason: It simply isn't possible to do any kind of meaningful license check on individual PCs, and any attempt to do so would just cause friction. Likewise, activation hassles cause friction.

Friction means people get frustrated and cancel the upgrade. Friction is not consistent with getting a billion Windows 10 users in the next few years.

So the new rules are written with the expectation that activation will be ridiculously easy. If that allows some people to get free upgrades they're not technically entitled to, that's a fair exchange for absolutely minimizing the friction on those upgraders who meet the technical qualifications.

How many "freeloaders" will be able to use this so-called loophole? The number is downright tiny, a fraction of a blip on Microsoft's balance sheets. (See the chart in this article if you don't believe me.)

Any homebrew computer builders who put together their own PC and have been running the Windows 10 preview on it gets a nice little gift. Happy Birthday!

Likewise, Microsoft is offering every Mac owner an opportunity to try out Windows 10 and keep it for free if they like it. Just install a preview release now, either in Boot Camp or in a virtual machine, and you will get an automatic, fully activated upgrade to the final edition when it is released. No strings attached.

If you like to tinker with virtual machines, you can do so with ease as well.

Microsoft is leaving some money on the table obviously. But the amount is, quite literally, a rounding error for its Windows business, and having a gargantuan user base is more important than that puny revenue.

So why not just say, "Windows 10 is free"?

Because it's not.

Businesses still have to pay for their Windows Enterprise edition licenses. PC builders still have to pay for their OEM copies. Yes, in theory a business could pick up a hundred "naked" PCs (no operating system installed) from a local system builder, install the Windows 10 Pro preview edition on each one, and then drop out of the Insider program after the final, fully activated version . At $140 per copy, that's a pretty fair chunk of change.

I suspect Microsoft's lawyers will include language in the final license agreement that prevents those "creative" deals from cutting into the core Windows business.

License terms for a new Windows edition don't typically appear until the very last minute. The broad outlines rarely change, but Redmond's lawyers like to throw in one oddball change just to mix things up.
At the moment, there's only a preview license agreement in place, so there's no telling what surprises we'll find this time around.

With a nod and a wink, Microsoft gives away Windows 10 to anyone who asks | ZDNet

Attachments

• msft-revenue-2014-by-channel-720.jpg
    msft-revenue-2014-by-channel-720.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
Microsoft changed the wording on their original statement and it seems everybody is talking about it
----------------------------

Microsoft backtracks(?) on free Windows 10 for Insiders... again

*updated: maybe not*

Updated: Although the updated blog post from Microsoft confused the situation. It appears Insiders will still receive a free upgrade to Windows 10, regardless of whether they had a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 install prior. The reason the company changed their wording in the first place was to, essentially, cover their backsides and stop the press from posting stories such as "Here's how to get Windows 10 for free". So in essence, the company is turning a blind eye to Insiders looking for an activated, free copy of the Windows 10 RTM, however their public message will continue to be 'You need a valid Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 license to upgrade.'

Microsoft backtracks(?) on free Windows 10 for Insiders... again *updated: maybe not*
-----------------
And here
Microsoft muddies waters about free copy of Windows 10 to beta testers | Computerworld

And here
Microsoft says Windows 10 is only free as an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 | VentureBeat | Business | by Ruth Reader

And here
Microsoft backtracks(?) on free Windows 10 for Insiders... again *updated: maybe not*

And here
Microsoft U-turns on 'free' Windows 10 upgrade promise for ALL previewers • The Register

Attachments

• steveballmerfacepalm.jpg
    steveballmerfacepalm.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
It originally said:

“Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.”

But now it says:

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh. It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.

None of my computer received the offer to upgrade to Windows 10, I`m thinking try the Insider Preview, it`s a good way to have Win 10? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

It's free as long as you use an Insider Microsoft account

We already knew that Windows 10 is going to be offered free of charge to users running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 on their devices, but a post that Microsoft rolled out the last weekend seemed to extend this promo to everyone participating to the Windows Insider program.

In just a few words, Microsoft said in an official post that Windows 10 insiders, meaning those who are running preview builds and are using a Windows Insider account, would get the RTM version of the operating system free of charge. More, Microsoft said, this copy of Windows 10 will be activated so they won't have to pay to use the new OS.

Then, the company changed the original announcement and pointed out that the offer was only available for consumers with a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 copy, which again led to more confusion among insiders.

Obviously, it was really hard to say whether Windows 10 would be free for insiders or not, but in a short statement published on Sunday, Gabriel Aul, head of the Windows Insider program, says that all insiders using the Microsoft account they introduced when registering for the program would get the final bits at no charge.

This time, however, Aul mentions nothing about activation, so while insiders could be offered the RTM bits at no cost, there's still no confirmation whether this copy of Windows 10 would be activated or not.

Why so much confusion?

For Microsoft enthusiasts, the poor choice of words that the company is using for this announcement is the biggest dilemma, especially because Gabriel Aul could have said it clearly that installing Windows 10 preview builds and using a Microsoft account would bring you a fully free and activated copy of the operating system.

Some say it's because of legal issues and Microsoft's lawyers themselves made changes to the original announcement, but there's certainly a better way to tell insiders if they can get a free copy of Windows 10 or not.

In the meantime, one thing is for sure: Windows 10 will be free for those with a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, so if you have one of those, you're on the lucky side.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...pd_bottombubble&utm_campaign=spd_bottombubble

Microsoft Sneakily Breaks Its Free Windows 10 Promise Again, Insiders With No Prior Genuine License Will Have to Pay

This is the second time Microsoft has backtracked on giving away Windows 10 for free to users who don’t have a genuine copy of Windows 7 or 8.x. The company had previously told Reuters that it plans to give away Windows 10 for free to pirates, which it had later denied.

We’ve asked the company to clarify the matter to us, and it has requested for some time. The post will be updated when we there is any major development. Our apologies for forgetting Microsoft’s infamous history filled with backtracking, and failing to give the readers a heads up on such possibility.

h**p://techpp.com/2015/06/22/no-free-windows-10-insiders/

Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds [UPDATED 6/22]

This post was updated at 12:00pm on June 22nd.

Over the weekend we saw a few articles about this post and confusion that it caused. I’m sorry for that and want to take a moment to clear up a few things. This is a very complex topic, since we’re managing: Multiple versions of Windows

Let me start by restating very clearly that Windows 10, whether you get it on 7/29 or whether you got it in a preview form through the Windows Insider Program is intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices.

Friday’s post was intended to clarify how the Windows Insider Program will proceed, and in attempting to do so created some unintended confusion. I sincerely apologize for that and will try to separate them more clearly below in order to provide more clarity.

The crux of it is this:
• Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
• Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and stop being an Insider?

“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

It is our hope that the vast majority of Windows Insiders who have been with us since we announced the program last year will continue forward, and it was in that light that we authored the blog post about upcoming changes to the program. I regret that this caused confusion about who was or was not eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade offer, but hope that this helps to clarify.

Thanks,
g

h**p://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Whats the performance like on these pre release builds?

I would say on par with win 8 because this build is still a little buggy, but there should be a new release any day now and that one should outperform any previous versions

Back