WiiKey v2 Mod gone wrong

paulonline

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have attempted to mod my Wii with the WiiKey v2 chip.

I have the G2C-D2B chipset.

The guides said to solder the 3.3 GND and points A,B and C.

when tring to solder point A I managed to over heat the contact, A little square metal solder contact came away from the board.

Also I noticed a very thin wire that led into the pad has also came free from the PCB.

Do you think I have damaged this beyond repair or is this fixable.

I will upload Pics when I get home if needed.

Also the WiiKey V2 chip has a missing solder contact aswell. Is this also repairable.....

Paul

Ok here is a picture of the damage......

crop.jpg

and here is the WiiKey

crop_wiikey.jpg

How Would I fix it....

I am gonna need a magnifying glass to start I know.

Can I paint the missing lines in with conductive paint ?

Regards

I think I would have done less damage with a blowtorch....... lol

The soldering Iron I have and used is an antex XS25 with a small nib.

I did not use tinner or flux.

I have lightly sanded the nib as it was discoloured (sort of brown) and will be getting a Helping hand with Magnifying glass and flux tinner tomorrow.

regards

As for the wiikey....

Also think you gonna have to clean up the legs on the chip of the wiikey they look like they are bridged

I will clean it up tomorrow when I have a magnifying glass. What do you suggest using to clean it ?

Regards

Anybody know where I can get kaynar wire.

All I can find in maplin is Equipment Wire (7/0·2) - Code: BL00A

The 7 is the number of strands I presume and the 0.2 is the diameter. Will this be ok ?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I have attempted to mod my Wii with the WiiKey v2 chip.

I have the G2C-D2B chipset.

The guides said to solder the 3.3 GND and points A,B and C.

when tring to solder point A I managed to over heat the contact, A little square metal solder contact came away from the board.

Also I noticed a very thin wire that led into the pad has also came free from the PCB.

Do you think I have damaged this beyond repair or is this fixable.

I will upload Pics when I get home if needed.

Also the WiiKey V2 chip has a missing solder contact aswell. Is this also repairable.....

Paul

yes should be fixable, make sure your photo is clear though and dont power the unit on .

what was you using? a blowtorch LOL

use flux, tinner, and kynar wire.

Sorry to barge on on ther thread but by the looks of it those pads which have come off dont go anywhere. So If you very carefully solder point A to the leg it should still be ok. Just make sure you dont break the track going from that pin to the via hole in the board while doing it.
I would suggest getting some flux and using a much less powerfull soldering iron with a small tip

Edit : Highlander beat me to it :)

Last edited:
As for the wiikey....

Also think you gonna have to clean up the legs on the chip of the wiikey they look like they are bridged

Last edited:
some flux, a bit of solder and desolder wick should do the job

And either use an electric soldering iron or turn the gas right down

ebay has kynar wire, along with phenoptix

god and i thought my soldering was bad lol

sorry m8 but that makes mine look like an oil painting to yours

have to say i have seen worse but, well done on your art work, A+ for effort ;)

tbh mate id get some1 who knows wot there doing to fix it, if u cant solder to the proper places then theres little chance u can solder to the ic legs. Ask around on the board, im sure some1 will help u out

i can do it if you are stuck m8

like cheeky monkey says it would be fixable aslong as the drive still works ;)

If you ask The Cheecky Monkey nicely, he might do you one of the best repairs you could get.

Honestly.. the iron must haveen way to hot or you held it on far too long to do that sort of damage and IC seg soldering isnt for the faint hearted.

TCM's guides practically taught me to solder...Ive seen his repair work before on Xbox 1's and PS2's and its immense.... Getting him to do it probably the hard part ;)

No offence to any of the others work who has posted here.

i'd give a ferking nut to learn to solder. i know i dig chippers a bit its only cos i can't do it :) it really is an art.

true english, when i first started modding i hated it cus it was so ugly, now i am artistic with multi colour kynar wire and superglue :)

have seen some of TCM's stuff and it is quite amazing how neat it is ;)

Get lost, i`m retired :drink: , well semi anyways. :nopity: I still work, but take it easy nowadays, i`ll let the younger chaps get on woth it............thanks for the kind words chaps.

:D

Back