Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

wii softmodding for dummies ?'s

crowman

Inactive User
hi
i ve read the softmod for dummies guide
and it looks prety much straight forward (not actualy done it yet)
the first question is, do i need to Upgrade the Backup Channel?if so where do i get new one from?

also is there anything els i need to do as i read about upgrading the wii's firmware or downgrading it to 3.2e, and puting some other files on the wii
this is the parts i dont understand or know about

can anyone tell me if the softmodding for dummies is the only thing i have to do

thanks
crowman

I've done mine with the dummies guide and it works fine. I didn't have to change my firmware as it was ok to start with. If yours isnt you need to up/downgrade it first. Some games have an 002 error that can be fixed with a newer version of the backup launcher. I haven't had any problems with any games yet.

why does the firmware need to be 3.2 ? and is there anything els needed?
and where do you get the new backup launcher?
cheers

why does the firmware need to be 3.2 ? and is there anything els needed?
and where do you get the new backup launcher?
cheers

It is better to run homebrew on 3.2, and you won't have to worry about automatic nintendo updates that they will push through.
On the 3.4 firmware future updates can be made without our consent.
So all your homebrew labours would be messed up.
Its not really to hard to downgrade, just ensure that you pick the right region firmware when you get to that screen. Its all tested, and works as long as you follow the instructions. You can find everything you need here on this forum, check out the sticky threads at the start.
I did mine when all the kids were out and the better half. (Peace and quiet makes a difference) print out the tutorial, read it, break it up into highlighted sections, and keep it in hand when you do it.
The guys here are all in the know and its best to learn a bit more about it all beforehand.
I downloaded some games beforehand over a couple of weeks, while I got to understand the basics by researching.
Even watching the hackers conference where Bushing and friends introduced the hack, gave me confidence, as that convinced me that they were better than the folks at Nintendo.

Last edited:
so forget softmodding for dummies and just use the softmii
is that right ?

cheers to you all

so forget softmodding for dummies and just use the softmii
is that right ?

cheers to you all

softmodding for dummies is the old way, and quite tricky to get it right sometimes. but still good.

Softmii has a read me that is very clear to help you mod, and you can play region free discs from the disc channel, instead of using a backup launcher.

they used to call it Riskiimod because if you were on 3.2e and had starfall installed you have to remove the starfall hacks to install preloader and softmii :) Softmii is no more risky than SMFD (except it takes a while longer, so make sure there will be no power cuts) but the results are far superior. gamecube backups run from disc channel too, if you install the Mios with Softmii.

lots of updates on the way for Softmii too.

Sorry for the stupid questions. noob . wii 3.3e pal

1)Please also RENAME the HACKSPAL or HACKSNTSC file depending on your region to HACKS.INI and place on the ROOT of SD.

Does root mean just put on the sd card or do i have to put it in a folder called root on the card.

2)Select "Load From SD" once more and this time install "cIOSrev7.wad"

In wad manger after running iso16 i can only see c103249r7.wad

3)PHASE 2 – This Will Downgrade Us

Do i have to run this.

I copyed all the files over like it said but i can't find my SoftMii Nand Browser.

Sorry from mr stupid.

Ps i have read a lot about it but now i think i have brain overload and getting more confussed

Last edited:
found SoftMii Nand Browser just need to know about the rest before i carry on. any help i would be gratefull.

do yuo need any games to perform this softmod?

is it possible to brick your wii? my sisters got a wii not sure what version firmware she has but its pretty new as she got load of games for chrsitmas

would i be able to do this on hers? ive done psp, xbox 360 and dbox2s without any real issues

Yes m8 you need zelda twlight wii version and a sd card. It seems straight forward. if youve done all of them you should be ok. then let me know the answer to the question i have asked. lol

anyone know why this is:

6) Start the Home-brew Channel, and load "#1 Wad Manager" you find will find in the list of programs.
7) Select “Load From SD”, and then select “IOS16.wad” and press (+) to install
8) Press the "Home" button when it finishes.
9) Go into Home Brew Channel Once More And Run "#9 Wad Manager IOS16"
10) Select "Load From SD" once more and this time install "cIOSrev7.wad"

In wad manger after running iso16 i can only see c103249r7.wad not cIOSrev7.wad why is this am i looking in the wrong place.

Last edited:
anyone know why this is:

6) Start the Home-brew Channel, and load "#1 Wad Manager" you find will find in the list of programs.
7) Select “Load From SD”, and then select “IOS16.wad” and press (+) to install
8) Press the "Home" button when it finishes.
9) Go into Home Brew Channel Once More And Run "#9 Wad Manager IOS16"
10) Select "Load From SD" once more and this time install "cIOSrev7.wad"

In wad manger after running iso16 i can only see c103249r7.wad not cIOSrev7.wad why is this am i looking in the wrong place.

join the club mate
is it just me or are these instructions in a different language?

as im struggling also

is there 2 different wad managers on your card a custom one and a normal one it might be in there i only did it a few days ago and cant get to my wii to check but everything is in the files you need in the softmii link

join the club mate
is it just me or are these instructions in a different language?

as im struggling also

I know, but i think all will come good

Thanks doobie looked in both and not in there, thanks though if you do get chance to look at yours i would be gratefull

Last edited:
1)Please also RENAME the HACKSPAL or HACKSNTSC file depending on your region to HACKS.INI and place on the ROOT of SD.

Does root mean just put on the sd card or do i have to put it in a folder called root on the card.

lol n00b question!

root indicates the beginging of the folder system

C:\ =ROOT

D:\ = ROOT

cIOS249r7.wad is located in the 'wad' folder

good luck

Last edited:
cheers m8 told you i'm a noob lol. Don't suppose you know about this bit.

so i can try the next phase.

come on lads , read the instructions Lol

i am reading but if it tells you to install something that not correct what can we do:drink:

just had another go
and installed homebrew chanel again
went into wad manager and installed ios16
then back into homebrew and into custom wad manager this time and there isnt a cIOSrev7.wad
only cIOS249R7.wad
so i installed this
like i have done before
and now i get to the next part ios downgrader and press A to run it and it just says press any button to restart wii
so i didnt get to the softmii nand browser part this time
(not that the softmii nand browser even exists on my set up as it shows as softmii nand dumper)

im at a loss ???

cheers crowman

i am reading but if it tells you to install something that not correct what can we do:drink:

just had another go
and installed homebrew chanel again
went into wad manager and installed ios16
then back into homebrew and into custom wad manager this time and there isnt a cIOSrev7.wad
only cIOS249R7.wad
so i installed this
like i have done before
and now i get to the next part ios downgrader and press A to run it and it just says press any button to restart wii
so i didnt get to the softmii nand browser part this time
(not that the softmii nand browser even exists on my set up as it shows as softmii nand dumper)

im at a loss ???

cheers crowman

think about it.

cIOSrev7.wad must surely be cIOS249R7.wad. ?

:)

Don't worry about the nand dumper. I wouldn't.

Ios downgrader wouldn't work if you hadn't installed 3.2e properly, so I think.

Hmm

Back