Wii can take 4 discs lol

gorang

Inactive User
Reaction score
Got my mates wii tonight to try an fix, his 2year old twins proved this week that they could stuff 4 discs into dads wii quite successfully, much to their dads disgust.

I got out the 4 discs without much problem but when I tried to run a game in it (tried a few an they all original wii games) it just come up with the message can't read disc (no error codes) so I stripped it right down thinking that sumit had been possibly broken or bent, but found nothing wrong visibly so i cleaned the laser with a soft cloth but still nothing.

Checked laser an it still lights up and moves up and down when the disc goes in.
Did notice that the disc is not even attempting to spin at all tho.

So was wondering if anyone with more knowledge on wii's knows if there is anything else that can go wrong with the laser to stop the disc spinning, if there is, is there a test that I can do to check it out???

Or is it just a case of replacing the whole drive module??

did a google and looked back old threads on here for some answers on this but found nothing so far.

Anyone got any ideas on this????

Any help would be much appreciated guys

cheers

Gordon

PS. console still original, not chipped and it about its about 2 years old and I think its a D2C thats in it

The motor should still spin up regardless of whether the laser is working or not. I think you have a problem with the motor itself. Check to see if the motor runs by applying voltage to it.

Liam

Thanks for your advice will try that

Any idea how much voltage the motor needs to spin up as I am thinking that it would be a reduced voltage from 240v for such a small motor, or am I barking up the wrong tree there????

Apperciate the advice

Gordon

Most motors should run with either 9 or 12 volts, you could try coupling it up to a 9v battery and see if it spins.

Liam

definately sounds like the motor has burned out, due to trying to spin 4 discs at one time. i dont think it was ever built to do that lol

the piece that spins try spin it by hand
if it dont try to move it up the spindle with the pressure of 4 cd's on it it may have pushed it hard up to the stop

if it dont try to move it up the spindle with the pressure of 4 cd's on it it may have pushed it hard up to the stop

not sure if david is talking about the same thing here
but i had one that had some object was stuck in the drive
and found that i couldnt spin the disc by hand with the drive lid off
if you look at the very front of the drive there are 2 metal parts (shown in photo)
one of these was bent towards the disc and stoping the disc from spinning

worth a look
easy fix just bend it back

not sure if david is talking about the same thing here
but i had one that had some object was stuck in the drive
and found that i couldnt spin the disc by hand with the drive lid off
if you look at the very front of the drive there are 2 metal parts (shown in photo)

worth a look
easy fix just bend it back
no i am talking about this the black line lol
it is on the motor and when pressed down stops it turning

Thanks for all the replies and help its much appreciated

this is where I up to with it today

Most motors should run with either 9 or 12 volts, you could try coupling it up to a 9v battery and see if it spins.
tried that with a 9v battery and it does spin

definately sounds like the motor has burned out
rulled out now as it spinning up

this ok as it turning ok

very front of the drive there are 2 metal parts (shown in photo)
and have strightened these already

have been playing about with the lid off today and managed to simulate a disc going in and fooled it to think a disc was still in an when the table goes down to start reading a disc the laser flashes red twice and bobs up and down twice then thats it.

I then stuck it all back together and tried a disc in, you can hear the laser doing its thing then nothing, no disc spinning up at all, then the Can't read Disc comes up on the screen again.

I was googlein today an came across a post from another forum that was going on about fuses in the drive motherboard with a pic of 1 fuse that blew, have checked that with a meter and it ok as well

fuse is in the 9th post down in here
Wii DVD Drive apparently dead

Would there be any other fuses on the motherboard??

I have tried to check everything that looks like a fuse on the board with the meter but everything seems to check out ok

I just don't know what else to check or if anything else can be checked or tested

any ideas welcome

Thanks for all the replies and help its much appreciated

this is where I up to with it today

tried that with a 9v battery and it does spin

rulled out now as it spinning up

this ok as it turning ok

and have strightened these already

have been playing about with the lid off today and managed to simulate a disc going in and fooled it to think a disc was still in an when the table goes down to start reading a disc the laser flashes red twice and bobs up and down twice then thats it.

I then stuck it all back together and tried a disc in, you can hear the laser doing its thing then nothing, no disc spinning up at all, then the Can't read Disc comes up on the screen again.

I was googlein today an came across a post from another forum that was going on about fuses in the drive motherboard with a pic of 1 fuse that blew, have checked that with a meter and it ok as well

fuse is in the 9th post down in here
Wii DVD Drive apparently dead

Would there be any other fuses on the motherboard??

I have tried to check everything that looks like a fuse on the board with the meter but everything seems to check out ok

I just don't know what else to check or if anything else can be checked or tested

any ideas welcome
sound like a laser fault
i may be corrected but if the laser doesnt see the disk it wont let the motor spin the disk

sound like a laser fault
i may be corrected but if the laser doesnt see the disk it wont let the motor spin the disk
Yeah I would say your defo right there mate as the laser would need to tell the motor, ok I can see the disc now so start spinning so I can read the rest of it

but whats been throwing me off that idea is that I have always thought (but I am only guessing here) that if the laser lights up at all, then it means its working, if it don't light up then it fooked, or am I barking up the wrong tree here and the laser could still be faulty even if it still lights up at the start???

The chances are that the laser is out of focus and cannot see the disc, it may even have have scuffs on the lens you will need to look very close to tell.Try to reset the distance between laser to disc it may have been altered by the stress of all those disc,s

The chances are that the laser is out of focus and cannot see the disc, it may even have have scuffs on the lens you will need to look very close to tell. Try to reset the distance between laser to disc it may have been altered by the stress of all those disc,s
That would make sense
Have had a look on the lens with a magnifying glass but can't see nothing obvious
Sorry for the ignorance but how do I reset the distance??
is there any video tuts that anyone knows of for this, I just tried to google it but got noth

thanks

Gordon

when a laser goes out of focus it is because the guides it runs on are worn and need replacing sometime rail hight can be adjusted, but its not the case here what you need to do is reverse the damage done. Maybe the cage is bent in some way I'm afraid its trial and error after all you have nothing to loose goodluck.

Back