Wifi or Homeplugs ?

Fano

Inactive User
Reaction score
I currently have my 500s connected to my wireless router via a wireless access point.
Both items are made by TP-Link and very stable.
The signal is strong,stable and fast.ECM times are very low and the signal hardly ever drops.
Ngrab streaming to pc is flawless.
I saw some people saying that wifi is unsuitable if using the Dreambox as a server but ok for client mode .They said to use homeplugs instead .
I am thinking about buying a set of homeplugs but they are ugly looking things,plus I dont have any spare sockets and I'd have to use an extension lead.
Will I see any performance improvements or is wifi ok ?

Last edited:
Well, it wont make a difference at all wether its server or client. the only thing that will change if you go to a homeplug, is that you will have upto 2x more bandwidth - this can be used for transfering files, streaming hi res content etc.

Wifi G - 54mbps
homeplug - 200 mbps - limited to 100mbps by the dreambox

Most people will go for a wired connection, as streaming/recording to network via wifi may be a bit 'jerky'

If your internet connection is greater than 54mbps then yes changing to homeplug will make a difference! If all is working well on wifi, leave it!!! Like the saying goes: "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Well, it wont make a difference at all wether its server or client.
Thats what I was thinking myself.
Its works perfectly in client mode so I dont see why it wouldnt be the same as a server.
I only have a 3Mb broadband connection so I dont need high bandwidth.
I will stick with the wifi now,especially as the router is pretty new.
I replaced my previous D-Link one as it kept on dropping the signal and had a poor range.
My new TP-Link one is rock solid .
As you said if it aint broke then dont try to fix it.
I could get homeplugs and find the performance from them is inferior to what I currently have.

wifi is by design unreliable. I would go homeplugs all the way.

There is nothing wrong with Wifi if you have G+ or above and its only unreliable if you pick/mix the wrong equipment. I have both Wifi and Hplug and find them both ok for CS and SD streaming, the only issue I have come across is that it is hard to HD stream with wifi unless you have wireless N in 5ghz 300mbps wide-channel mode but you have to have the correct router to do that, such as an Airport Extreme.

Its worth remembering that you can have terrible performance from Hplugs if your wiring is old or you have separate circuits in between your Hplugs, so they are not always the way forward but the model that gets the best reviews seems to be Devolo.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with Wifi if you have G+ or above and its only unreliable if you pick/mix the wrong equipment. I have both Wifi and Hplug and find them both ok for CS and SD streaming, the only issue I have come across is that it is hard to HD stream with wifi unless you have wireless N in 5ghz 300mbps wide-channel mode but you have to have the correct router to do that, such as an Airport Extreme.
Thanks Tommy,sounds correct to me.
Both my router and access point are the same make TP-Link and they seem to work ok (G models).
I'm only interested in CS and SD streaming so I think wifi will be satisfactory.
Those homeplugs are pretty expensive for what they do to be honest.

If you're happy now then you're best not changing anything, if you ever need to cx to Hplug then some generic versions are good, I think ebuyer do one that's rated.

Anyone here using wifi for CS and how do you find the performance ?
I have a slight issue where every so often ,generally once a day my wireless ethernet bridge gets disconnected from the router and the only way it will reconnect properly is to reboot both the router and bridge .
It works well after that and the signal is strong and stable but it will disconnect after 20-24 hours again.

I use DM 500c in CS with the DM connected to a wireless router (secondary) via wired. The secondary router is set up as WDS to another wifi router (primary) which is the one with cable modem conencted. Both routers are on opposite side of house (I live in a large house 4 downstairs 5 upstairs)..no problems at all .. even when streaming DM to laptop (also on wifi) in other side of house connected to the primary router.

just to let you know there is another wifi alternative, wizard is selling them dongles and also on ebay.

just to let you know there is another wifi alternative, wizard is selling them dongles and also on ebay.

Is that the Dreamwi mouse thingy ?
That is supposed to be rubbish ,it drops the connection all the time and some reviews said it blew usb ports as well .
A wireless access point or gaming adapter is far better and cheaper too.

Back