Why do the stores ask for address?

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi folks,

just curious why stores ask for the address when returning stuff.. I went to argos to return a toy which was clearly a return and missing some bits.. The girl asked for my address and I was a bit reluctant..

is it a legal thing.. I know you can give a fake address etc but I would really like to tell them to feck off as my address has got nothing to do with it, ITS FAULTY !! :grab:

please advise..

Last edited:
If its a TV/freeview box it's to inform the TV licensing; anything else is marketing.

If its a TV/freeview box it's to inform the TV licensing; anything else is marketing.

marketing? i don't think so. i worked in retail for years, it's to prevent fraud.

yep its to prevent fraud

If it,s a TV or anything to do with receiving BBC it is to check for a valid TV license at the address,

Not sure on the other one, but sometimes they have even phoned my bank if the purchase has been large.

i remember pc world and curry's asking for your post code at the till even paying with cash, don't think they do now.

yeah, i think some of the electrical retailers like comet/currys do take your names/address for the warrenty/keep you on their system but other shops (like clothes retailers, etc) do it for fraud prevention - staff as much as customer. were i worked, we reckoned 60% of theft was staff related.

So how does asking for my post code and nothing else prevent fraud?

Full addresses ok, that makes sense. But you would only be legally obliged to divulge your name and address if you were entering into a hire purchase agreement.

once i bought a dvd player from dixons it broke 10 month later, i didnt have the box and couldnt find the reciept, i took it back they searched my post code as they took it when i bought it, found the transaction and were happy to swap it for a new one.

Back