Which Laptop to buy?

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
I personally would opt for th asus one not for any other reason then i can't stand Dell. they make stuff with shoddy parts at a huge discout and still charge the earth

This one looks a bit better than those two.

It's in Staples £399

If you want to have a look, go on their website and search for
HP G7045 Laptop
Item Number 394253

The price on site is plus VAT. They are in the shops at £399

This one looks a bit better than those two.

It's in Staples £399

If you want to have a look, go on their website and search for
HP G7045 Laptop
Item Number 394253

The price on site is plus VAT. They are in the shops at £399

Looks ok m8, but a bit on the heavy side compared to the Asus and Inspiron. Any other suggestions welcome... Oh by the way the budget is at £400.

I bought the Asus one for my brother in law for xmas, it's a great little machine, only problem i had with it was with vista, kept going off telling me it hadn't been activated, asus told me to speak to microsoft, microsoft told me to call them when i'd bought a working key, eventually got it activated by getting a working code from microsofts automated activation phoneline, but of a hassle with it being xmas, but i still can't fault the laptop. But as with all laptops/PC's depends what you want to do with them.

What I want to know is.

Why can't people buy a bare laptop i.e. no software loaded.
They must have to include software costs.
If you already have the software you want, why would you want to duplicate it. Plus you can choose what OS you want.

I know someone's gonna say it may be a purchaser's first computer but I'm talking about people like us lot.

I bought the Asus one for my brother in law for xmas, it's a great little machine, only problem i had with it was with vista, kept going off telling me it hadn't been activated, asus told me to speak to microsoft, microsoft told me to call them when i'd bought a working key, eventually got it activated by getting a working code from microsofts automated activation phoneline, but of a hassle with it being xmas, but i still can't fault the laptop. But as with all laptops/PC's depends what you want to do with them.

Im a student, so basically want it for work, listening to lecture podcasts ( how boring!! lol) researching, surfing the net and playing football manager...!

Is the screen widescreen?

Last edited:
Well the Asus will more than cope with your requirements, it also has the added bonus of a 2 year warranty, the Acer looks good on a budget, a little too small on the hard drive though, it's horses for courses though, taking into account budget and requirements, if you're happy spending the 400 then i'd recommend the Asus having used it, it's a nice budget laptop

checked em both out... dont like the look of the fujitsu.. Acer seems ok.. More suggestions welcome... Cheers.

I was thinking more of the prices. You won't beat them (anywhere)
One of them comes with a free all-in-one printer

Also nothing wrong with Fujitsu lappys, I got one for sister, pleased as punch.

Nothing wrong with Dells either, i,ve got two Dell laptops and am very happy with them both..
If your looking for cheap ones i noticed a load in tescos that were resonably priced, even better if u have a clubcard for the points lol

I wouldn't go for an hp laptop. A friend of mine bought one for her son for xmas, lovely looking machine but it had vista on it, you can put xp on them but hp have no driver support and on there website they say there will not be any for future machines.

I personally would opt for th asus one not for any other reason then i can't stand Dell. they make stuff with shoddy parts at a huge discout and still charge the earth

I agree, plus Asus usually have 2 years warranty as standard and I haven't come across an asus laptop yet, with any dead pixels.

Whatever model/manufacturer you choose..please bear in mind:

For Intel get dual core.
2g of ram. 1x 2g ram would be ideal...leaves room for expansion.

Most other specs are standard in all laptops.

IMPORTANT:
if you are thinking of running Vista 64bit in the future check manufacturers website for drivers first. Companies like Acer have no Vista 64 support!
hope this helps.

Whatever model/manufacturer you choose..please bear in mind:

For Intel get dual core.
2g of ram. 1x 2g ram would be ideal...leaves room for expansion.

Most other specs are standard in all laptops.

IMPORTANT:
if you are thinking of running Vista 64bit in the future check manufacturers website for drivers first. Companies like Acer have no Vista 64 support!
hope this helps.

What do you mean by Visa 64bit? Sorry but not a very techie person. Until yesterday i was thinking bout going for the Asus, but this morning sort of changed my mind to Dell...

There are two versions of Vista (XP also)..32 bit and 64 bit.
A 'standard' processor like Intel p4, celeron etc are 32bit.

Other cpu's like AMD 64 and Intel Quad (not sure about all dual core) are capable of running at 64 bit ie they handle double the instructions of 32 bit and thus give you faster perfomance.

I have tried Vista Ultimate 64 on a Compaq/HP laptop with a AMD Turion dual core 64 bit processor. The performance was more impressive than the original xp 32 bit.

Of course 64 bit cpu's can still run on 32 bit OS but not at full potential.

the fact is the dell machine hs the best CPU, Asus has good warranty but so does the tosh.. for the spec i would go for dell, for prices i would take the asus and for formidability the tosh...

the fact is the dell machine hs the best CPU, Asus has good warranty but so does the tosh.. for the spec i would go for dell, for prices i would take the asus and for formidability the tosh...

i think i'll just go for the Dell. Same price as others but better spec. Will bargain on phone with them, see if they'll include bluetooth in the price... Let you guys know how i get along..

Thanks to all for help and recommendations/opinions..

Back