Which dreambox shall I buy?

Happy Daze

Inactive User
Reaction score
After months of ‘shall I - shan’t I’ I think I’m now ready to take the plunge and buy a dreambox, problem is though I don’t know which one to go for.
I’ve got about £250 to spend. I already have a dish pointing at Astra (redundant Sky setup) with a quad LMB and dual feed cable running into the house. Do I need anything else?

Reading through DW forums it appears the 500c is a popular model, will this be Ok for a newbie such as me? HD would be nice but is it worth the extra dosh? You thoughts please guys.

One other thing, is there a shop in the Merseyside area selling them or is it Internet only?

Cheers!

After months of ‘shall I - shan’t I’ I think I’m now ready to take the plunge and buy a dreambox, problem is though I don’t know which one to go for.
I’ve got about £250 to spend. I already have a dish pointing at Astra (redundant Sky setup) with a quad LMB and dual feed cable running into the house. Do I need anything else?

Reading through DW forums it appears the 500c is a popular model, will this be Ok for a newbie such as me? HD would be nice but is it worth the extra dosh? You thoughts please guys.

One other thing, is there a shop in the Merseyside area selling them or is it Internet only?

Cheers!

Welcome to the sat side ! For starters a Dm500c is a cable reciever no good for satellite viewing you need a Dm500s (S for satteliite tuner). The 500 is a good reciever in it's own right very stable and reliable,. and CS works fine on these in client or server mode. But they are quite old now and have certain limitations such as low on board memory so you cant really get a decent EPG, also no PVR (recording) to hard disk, no USB or SATA...you can record to a network drive but not very good. For a basic starter box it still cannot be beaten for price/performance at 50 quid.

You have a decent budget at 250 quid, lots of boxes will fin into your price range but as you've specifically mentiioned Dreambox I would say get a clone DM 800SE for around 150 quid delivered. It's HD, has internal SATA capibility for installing a hard disk, oe E-SATA, USB ports for PVR to USB or external USB drives. Colour OLED, Media Player to directly play your video and audio files.

There is alternatives to Dreambox however like Qbox mini HD Twin tuner at 200 quid, Spiderbox, OpenBox s9/s10, TM recievers etc etc.

Thanks gsmtech
Clone DM 800SE it is then, what's the situation with the 'clone' is it as good as the 'original' and will any do everything the 'original' does? and finally.........could you point me in the right direction where I might buy one?

Yes as far as I am aware there is no difference in functionality between DM800SE clones and originals. Try Aliexpress thats where the majority of clone sellers advertise but search for terms such as "800SE" "DM800SE" etc if you search for "Dreambox" you wont fins any I think they are getting pressure from Dream multimedia to stop selling clones on aliexpress. Also check to see it comes with SIM 2.10 these have better support, than the alternative Ferarri SIM. Also make sure that it is actually a DM800SE your buying not a standard DM800HD/PRO. Difference is mainly colour OLED and 400mhz CPU on the SE. Expect to pay around 150 GBP depending on pound to dollar exhange rates.

Back