Which box to get?

Oh so we gotta know our location and the sat location to get the perfect aim?

Oh and I did think it was complicated before I posted this thread, now I think it's okay....that's until I start looking into images and the diff options available to me once i get a box!! lol

Are you going with the DM500s from Alibaba mate ? thats the one i'm thinking of getting to play with for a start,then if i get my head round it i think i'll get a TM800 hd and motorised dish

a dish pointed at 28.2 east will pick up all of the fta freesat channels with a dreambox or other sat recieiver, nothing more.

here you go,
fonally found it lol:
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

the cheapest dm500 i have come across is on dealextreme £49
they accept paypal and their shipping is better than the chinese.

the compass on the back of the dish is not so much a compass, just markings to give you an indication of the elevation of the dish or the north-south angle.

Last edited:
a dish pointed at 28.2 east will pick up all of the fta freesat channels with a dreambox or other sat recieiver, nothing more.

here you go,
fonally found it lol:
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

the cheapest dm500 i have come across is on dealextreme £49
they accept paypal and their shipping is better than the chinese.

the compass on the back of the dish is not so much a compass, just markings to give you an indication of the elevation of the dish or the north-south angle.

The clones provided from Dealextreme have the DM600 style black and silver case as well so they look nicer than the standard silver clones.
They still deliver from China but for some eason appear to be faster. The only crap thing is they dont supply you a uk 3 pin plugs, it's a 2 pin. So either get an adaptor 2 pin to 3 pin or chop the end off the lead and wire a 3 pin plug unleess you have a spare figure of 8 lead lying around.

Can i pls jump on this thread and ask a few newbie questions?

I have read through and am thinking about buying a TM600, i have a non motorised mini dish which is about 6-8 years old. If i get ahold of one of these boxs from fleabay then what should i do to be up and running?
Is it possible to buy one of these boxs and pay extra if need be so all i need to do is connect the broadband, sat cable and enjoy? ....as u can tell im used to a dbox.
How do i subscribe to an overseas CS as well?

I have a feeling i give the impresson i am wet behind the ears with this techy stuff....i apolagise in advance for this.

Thanks for the great thread.

adam

Last edited:
I'm glad you joined in this thread mate. I got a follow on question of my own that I was thinking about earlier today.

1. My sky + box gets some free channels. Will a DM/TM box pick up any more channels with the same fixed mini dish without CS?

2. Roughly how many channels can I pick up with a DM/TM box and a motorised dish? Does it also depend on the image?

3. How does a box connect to a CS server? Does it have to go through a computer with software or can I just specify the global IP address of the CS server in the box and connect via a wireless bridge connected to the box that accesses my router?

Pimped have you not got a box yet ? I took the plunge and got a 500s and honestly when you get your hands on it. It's really simple to set up. There are loads of FTA channels on 28.2, probably enough to keep you going without having to subscribe or go down the cs route.

Pimped have you not got a box yet ? I took the plunge and got a 500s and honestly when you get your hands on it. It's really simple to set up. There are loads of FTA channels on 28.2, probably enough to keep you going without having to subscribe or go down the cs route.
Thanks mate, wasn't too sure if I could pick up more than what my Sky + box does at the moment. If it didn't, then that would have been a waste of money.

I'll deffo go ahead and order one. Who did you get yours from? Might as well see what other places there are in addition to the ones on this thread already before I spend =]

Was just about to purchase from DVBMonkey and got put off coz delivery was £18.00!!

Any better recommendations?

Okay so I got the DM500s.

I was speaking to a guy in the know at my local sat store, he said that I can't get any more channels than what I'm already getting with my sky+ box if I connect my DM to my standard sky minidish and if I'm not using CS. Is this true?

What if I was to get a motorised dish, would I be able to pick up more free channels?

Don't wanna CS just yet, wanna learn more first

that is true.
with a motorised dish you could pick up every single fta channel within the reach of your dish.

if you went the c/s route and you got relevant clines, you would be able to watch encrypted channels on the various other satellites that are now reachable thanks to your motor.

that is true.
with a motorised dish you could pick up every single fta channel within the reach of your dish.

if you went the c/s route and you got relevant clines, you would be able to watch encrypted channels on the various other satellites that are now reachable thanks to your motor.
I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks for confirming.

Local sat store said £189 inc fitting for motorised dish. That seems like a rip to me, what do you think?

Local sat store said £189 inc fitting for motorised dish. That seems like a rip to me, what do you think?

Thats pretty reasonable actually ,the dish,motor,lnb,wiring and bracket would be at least £100 so £89 for fitting is very fair.

agreed.
fit it yourself mate,
its not that difficult.
Have already got a minidish, is it a good idea to use the existing bracket/mount?

I don't wanna fcuk it up really, so I would like to get it done properly. But then again, I do D.I.Y around the house, so I could take this on, make a right ass out of myself and then pay someone to fix all the damage i've caused as well as install my dish lol (i'm not that bad really)

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know exactly how it works,
tut:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/89757/

you might also want to have a go at using an lnb bracket to fix multiple lnb's on one fixed dish. that might be able to get you 28.2 19 and 13e
not as difficult as installing a motorised dish:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/233628/

CrazyFool
Thanks crazy, that looks like something I'll start with instead of forking out for a motorised set up.

Anywhere I can find a freeview channel list for each satellite? Does it also depend on what image im using?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back