whey protein with bananas

pops1a

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've started taking whey protein after training. I was wondering if I can eat a banana at the same time or any other foods. And is it really beneficial to take whey protein or a balanced diet just as good. The only reason I'm taking the protein is, a relative gave me a tub and said it will be good for me, but I'm not sure. What do you enlightened people think?

I've started taking whey protein after training. I was wondering if I can eat a banana at the same time or any other foods. And is it really beneficial to take whey protein or a balanced diet just as good. The only reason I'm taking the protein is, a relative gave me a tub and said it will be good for me, but I'm not sure. What do you enlightened people think?

Immediately (15 minutes) after you train you should have a shake containing a simple carbohydrate and protein, most off the shelf "recovery shakes/drinks" have whey and caesin proteins and some more. Whey is a complete protein which is OK.

You need a simple carbohydrate (a sugar) with it to provide a hyperglycaemic spike which makes you release insulin. This stops the catabolic effect of cortisol which is released during exercise stress.

The banana won't do you any harm, plenty of good stuff in them but I'd make sure to have a sugary juice or something as well.

I always take one scoop before a workout as well for extra energy. If you can afford it and can be bothered, take a scoop first thing in the morning as this is when your muscles are breaking down and the protein intake will negate that effect.

Depends what results you are after though. Definetly a good idea to take a couple of scoops after any form of exercise I would say.

Bannanas are good for pre and mid exercise for energy, but like spectre says, simple carbs along with protein helps your body to make more use of it and deliver more of it quicker to where it is needed... This is how I understand it anyway!!

Immediately (15 minutes) after you train you should have a shake containing a simple carbohydrate and protein, most off the shelf "recovery shakes/drinks" have whey and caesin proteins and some more. Whey is a complete protein which is OK.

You need a simple carbohydrate (a sugar) with it to provide a hyperglycaemic spike which makes you release insulin. This stops the catabolic effect of cortisol which is released during exercise stress.

The banana won't do you any harm, plenty of good stuff in them but I'd make sure to have a sugary juice or something as well.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little reluctant at the moment to take extra carbs in my diet as I'm still trying to lose body fat and am dealing with type 2 diabetes and sugar is a no no for me. Having said that my diabetes is under control and I've stopped taking medication, as my sugar level is normal.

I always take one scoop before a workout as well for extra energy. If you can afford it and can be bothered, take a scoop first thing in the morning as this is when your muscles are breaking down and the protein intake will negate that effect.

Depends what results you are after though. Definetly a good idea to take a couple of scoops after any form of exercise I would say.

Bannanas are good for pre and mid exercise for energy, but like spectre says, simple carbs along with protein helps your body to make more use of it and deliver more of it quicker to where it is needed... This is how I understand it anyway!!

Thanks a lot for the advice. I was wondering how much protein I should be taking for it to be effective and what is a safe amount without having any adverse effects. At the moment I take one scoop after training, usually within 2 hours.

what is this for,when i used to go to the gym i knew feckall about all this stuff but used to have the shakes lol after i left

Thanks a lot for the advice. I was wondering how much protein I should be taking for it to be effective and what is a safe amount without having any adverse effects. At the moment I take one scoop after training, usually within 2 hours.

You need to take it upto 30 mins after exercise mate, this is most beneficial.

It is perfectly safe to take 2 scoops 3 times a day, but depends on your size, type of exercise you do and what results you are looking for (and the size of your wallet).

If you are feeling tired, and losing muscle mass then try uping dosem if you are putting weight on then you are taking too much.

what is this for,when i used to go to the gym i knew feckall about all this stuff but used to have the shakes lol after i left

when i said shakes i meant muscle ones not the drink

You need to take it upto 30 mins after exercise mate, this is most beneficial.

It is perfectly safe to take 2 scoops 3 times a day, but depends on your size, type of exercise you do and what results you are looking for (and the size of your wallet).

If you are feeling tired, and losing muscle mass then try uping dosem if you are putting weight on then you are taking too much.

Thanks. What's the time limit as to when I should notice a difference and make the changes accordingly. Ideally I'd like to lose about another stone, which is mainly on my belly and then hopefully I can see muscle development from taking the protein. Initially I'd like to stay with one scoop a day after exercise as I wouldn't want to put weight back on. I was 17 stone and now I'm down to 13 stone, so you can imagine why I wouldn't want to slide back to gaining weight.

You shouldn't put fat on when eating after proper exercise. Have a search on Google for "Anabolic Window".

You shouldn't put fat on when eating after proper exercise. Have a search on Google for "Anabolic Window".

thanks, interesting reads but I'm more confused. Their seem to be so many opinions, I don't know which is best suited for me.
I got a shock today at hospital when I had my weight checked, I put 4 kilos on. I'm trying to lose weight not put it on. I wonder if it's because I've started taking the whey protein.
I know I've been taking the shakes in the anabolic window, so I shouldn't be putting fat on, but it's got me a little worried.

thanks, interesting reads but I'm more confused. Their seem to be so many opinions, I don't know which is best suited for me.
I got a shock today at hospital when I had my weight checked, I put 4 kilos on. I'm trying to lose weight not put it on. I wonder if it's because I've started taking the whey protein.
I know I've been taking the shakes in the anabolic window, so I shouldn't be putting fat on, but it's got me a little worried.

Ok let me see if I can help your confusion a bit.

Muscle is denser than fat so if you've been doing heavy weight training and focusing your gym time on muscle growth then you should expect not to see a weight reduction when you step on the scales - and to see a weight increase instead.

Don't become a slave to the scales - standard scales just for measuring dead weight - they're not good for measuring and monitoring how changes to a person's body composition (e.g. the amount of lean muscle you're carrying as oppose the amount of body fat etc).

Instead, get your body fat checked - this would be a far more accurate indicator of what is going on with your body. Your GP can arrange this for you (along with a cholesterol check too) OR any decent gym should have the equipment to measure your body fat percentages OR you can buy the home test stuff to DIY.

Would need to know more about your diet, your training programme etc before going into any further depth but let us know how you get on in the meanwhile.

Last edited:
I got some of those fat measuring electronic scales but they report any dehydrated muscle or undigested food as fat. You have to be careful to take readings at the same times.

Body calipers are better but apparently difficult to master reliably.

As Gargamel said, muscle is more dense than fat so an increase may be a good sign. I've read that at maximum, a person might be able to put a pound of muscle on per week (that's hydrated and all the rest, I've read that at most people can put on 25lb of dry muscle mass on per year, that's obviously more with the water etc.).

You are still eating good fats aren't you? If you don't your body assumes a shortage and stores any that it can, it gets more efficient at it as well.

Body calipers are better but apparently difficult to master reliably...

lol you're so right mate - the old calipers are a surprisingly difficult bit of kit to use correctly and accurately - especially if you're trying to do your own measurements on yourself. Definitely worth getting it done by someone else who's got skills.

Thanks guys for your input. I've been stupid allowing this weight gain to play on my mind. I've had a terrible week all round. I went stupid and ate very little, this consisted of porridge for breakfast and chickpea soup with pitta bread for lunch and fruit for the rest of the day. This has resulted in me unable to train properly feeling tired, before during and after exercise. I was so exhausted after training, I had to have a sleep, but also not slept properly at night, feeling tired in the morning.
I've decided I needn't worry about the weight gain as I'm physically active it shouldn't affect my health like it did in the past, when I was physically inactive resulting in me developing diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and depression.
I'm going to carry on training and monitor my weight and look at improving my diet to help me achieve my goals.

I've been there. As long as you noticed it ASAP and go back to the drawingboard it's all good.

Everyone is different and I think I will be experimenting with what works for me and fine tuning my diet and nutritian for a while longer yet.

I am looking to get more energy pre and mid workout. I always eat, say 4 rounds of brown bread and a can of tuna and 1 scoop protein pre-workout, but I think I deffinetly need more energy to do what I want.

So far I am thinking about drinking a sports drink like powerade, or/and making some oat flap jacks.

Back