where to buy lobster from?

manutd4life

DW Regular
Reaction score
as title because i want to cook it obv lol. My wife says live ones will be better as i was gonna go into lidl and buy there frozen ones.

where can i buy live ones from and whats the best way to kill them or could the fishmonger kill it for me then i cook it the same day. i am going to grill it as thats how i have had it in the past the last 3 times.

cheers

fish shops are the best, but frozen also are good, for killing the lobster, simple, prepare a pot with hot water, than put inside, the beast..... than is done..

fish shops are the best, but frozen also are good, for killing the lobster, simple, prepare a pot with hot water, than put inside, the beast..... than is done..

how long do i put it in the pot? ive seen where you knife it in the back quick and slice doin the middle?

dont think we have any any fish shops in gateshead but i will have to have a good look.

cheers

few minutes and is cooked... put also salt in the water... for take off the shield, start from the tail, open it with a knife , trough the head, than take out the meat, keep the arms to use for put in the sauce.. any sauce you will make..

Last edited:
few minutes and is cooked... put also salt in the water... for take off the shield, start from the tail, open it with a knife , trough the head, than take out the meat, keep the arms to use for put in the sauce.. any sauce you will make..

i really wanted to grill it or do i grill it after ive boiled it?

as title because i want to cook it obv lol. My wife says live ones will be better as i was gonna go into lidl and buy there frozen ones.

where can i buy live ones from and whats the best way to kill them or could the fishmonger kill it for me then i cook it the same day. i am going to grill it as thats how i have had it in the past the last 3 times.

cheers
you kill it when you cook it
you boil the water with salt in it the put the live lobster in the water

but i want it grilled not boiled! do i boil it to kill it then grill/fry it?

Frying Lobster

Never thought of frying lobster? It can be done!
The first step in how to fry lobster is to get the meat out of the lobster before you cook it. You can kill your live lobster either by plunging a knife in its head (not on my list of things I like to do) or you can steam the lobster. But only steam it for a minute or two, the objective here is not to cook the lobster, just to prepare it to get the meat out.
The best way of preparing the tail meat is to cut lobster medallions out of them. Then crack the claws and cut the claw meat into chunks.
Once you have the lobster meat ready, warm the frying pan and melt about 2 Tbsp of butter in it. Add any seasonings you would like - perhaps garlic, or parsley. Fresh-snipped basil can be quite nice, too. Put the meat in the pan, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until the meat is opaque.

Any fish with the shell., well.. crab, prawns, lobsters, can be cooked in different ways, fry, also first just put few second in a very hot water, so , the meat will not boil just to kill the lobster if is alive , than fry it or grill it.. but remember for grill the lobster you must open the body, just cut the body from the tail, than put a sauce with lemon, chilli,garlic, salt and butter, on it, during the grilling... ist's easy, don't worry, you can make,. is the same ways you grill prawns..

The humane way to kill a lobster is to put it in the fridge for an hour and it will fall to sleep, then either plunge it into boiling water, or knife above the eyes as already said.

As for buying them, around here the local market is about the only place to get live lobsters.

Last edited:
be careful there is a small sack just behind the head in a lobstar and its deadly do not eat it.

Don't worry, grill that .. lobster and come back to tell us how good was...remember any type of fish or meat, once you grill it, only the flavour from the fire give an exceptional taste, plus the seasoning, make the food very special...so find that lobster and cook it.. and eat it..

If you want ready cooked lobster, aldi have frozen canadian lobster for a fiver this thursday.

The live one's don't half scream when you first drop them in boiling water there again so probably would we in the same situation.
Let us know how you cook it and what it was like along with the recipe, I quite like all shell fish as well as normal fish.

The live one's don't half scream when you first drop them in boiling water there again so probably would we in the same situation.
Let us know how you cook it and what it was like along with the recipe, I quite like all shell fish as well as normal fish.

Thats only the air escaping that is trapped in their shells.

Was it still alive after its head had been cut off ?

I know cockroach have various reflex actions (like breathing) spread across their spine. You can cut of a cockroaches head and it can continue to survive and lay eggs for several hours.

Back