whats the best image ?

gibbo74

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey guys whats the best image to put on a dmv8 please , i have nabiosat darkstar 2 but when i press the blue button nothing happens ,i have downloaded ccam 2.1.3 and installd it
how do i get it to work ?

PLI Jade is about the easiest to set up. did you add your cline to cccam config in var/etc

thebigman

Last edited:
darkstar is a good image but it's old, use OpenPli MaxVar it's more compact leaves more free memory on the box a, and use CCAM 2.1.4 instead newer version.

Hey guys,
is this the image that i need for my dm500s v8?:

OpenPLi® v1.0 - for the Dreambox DM500Plus
PLi® Images website

Cheers.
CrazyFool

Nope you need image for standard Dm500 not the Dm500 Plus.

The difference between the original 500 and the 500+ is...

- 32 MByte Flash
- 96 MByte RAM

Check here for the latest Nightly Builds of the Maxvar image for Dm500 and clones...Maxvar has the extra crap removed..so it doesnt waste unceccesary memory on the box.

PLi® Images website

Thanks for that buddy.
am i ok to get the 'OpenPLi-unstable-dm500-maxvar-20101116-174.zip'

the word 'unstable' in it slightly scares me lol

Thanks for that buddy.
am i ok to get the 'OpenPLi-unstable-dm500-maxvar-20101116-174.zip'

the word 'unstable' in it slightly scares me lol

Yes, that should be the latest build from last night. All the OpenPli images have "unstable" in the decription just means theyre still being devleoped and are not considered "Final".

I generally use the latest Maxvar "unstable" releases and havent had any problems..I've got the same recievers as you as well DM500 V8.

The last Final is quite old...PLI Jade from 2009. you can download that from PLI website as well..if you dont want to use the OpenPli Unstable.

Thanks buddy,
much appreciated,
the file type is nfi instead of img.
is that ok?
im gonna use this method to flash into the box...
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/249383/#post1845524
says it has to be renamed backup.img

Cheers,
Crazy.

EDIT: nvm i just downloaded 'OpenPLi-unstable-dm500-maxvar-old-framebuffer-20101116-174.zip' it is a .img

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
i've never tried that method, I normally just use DreamUp and null modem.

dont use an nfi image that is for the 500hd you need a .img for a standard 500. you should still get one from the pli website.

thebigman

thanks guys
got an unstable maxvar with old framebuffer .img
no rs232 so im gonna go with the ftp and telnet as above.

thanks guys
got an unstable maxvar with old framebuffer .img
no rs232 so im gonna go with the ftp and telnet as above.

I dont know what the "old framebuffer" does, I just use the normal Maxvar image there should be a normal Maxvar there as well for download without the "old framebuffer".

It's good to have a null modem handy incase anything goes wrong with the telnet/FTP method...

Once you have your image set up and running just how you want it telnet in and copy and paste this command

cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

this will create a complete back up image for you in the tmp folder ,that you can reflash if you have to, with all your channels and settings ready to go, just save it to your pc via ftp. Very usefull if you want to try out several images.

thebigman

Thanks buddy that is some sexy work right there.
ok, can i use the same backup image across multiple dm500s like you can with the tm500?

yes you can, I always have 4 or 5 different images backed up cause i like playing with the different features of the images so i can swap them about without disturbing the missuses soap viewing too much.

thebigman

Thanks for all the help guys.
Just need to sort out an EPG plugin now. what do you guys think? Rytec or SQLite? are there any mapped out plugins anywhere?
would save me a couple of hours.

Thanks again,
Crazy,

rytec epg needs the sqlite plugin installed.

tthebigman

Thanks buddy,

anywho im back with some problems.
the image i installed was too unstable and kept on freezing.
someone recommended i install jade3 pli.

i ftp'd "PLi® Jade3 - for the Dreambox DM500" from:
PLi® Images website
(the bottom one)

during telnet it erased the flash but said "illegal instruction" afterwards.
double checked the command line and the image filename (backup.img) and everything looks right.

have i flashed the wrong image onto the box.
strange thing is that i can still use the box for watching tv even though the flash has been erased.
i can still ftp in and out of the box too but flashwizard pro will not connect to try and flash the image another way. :S

i even tried flashing the original image via telnet with the same error.

Any advice is much appreciated,
Mubs

Last edited:
Back