Whats possible?

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have never done any homebrew before and therefore have no equipment but what do have is a load of fruit trees in my garden and I don't want to waste them. I've got banana's, pairs, apples, plums, lemons, oranges and cheymoya. Plus a grape vine but nothing on it yet. If i was to start with the basics what type of outlay would I need to spend to say get pair cider. One thing to bare in mind though is i'm at the other end of the planet to most of you guys so prices may be a bit higher, but a uk price guide would be good.

I'm quite new to fermenting (still on kits) but I think wine is probably your easiest bet and one gallon is a standard small volume to ferment. I've only read about producing from actual fruit, although you could probably use supermarket juice as a base. You might need to save up fruit and freeze it etc.

Equipment would be a fermenting bin (1 or 5 Gallon) and a fermenting vessel with airlock, of the same capacity (slightly smaller due to the initial vessel needing more headroom). Syphon tube and a few other bits and pieces. If making a gallon then a water bottle can be used as a bin for initial fermentation and then a demijohn for final fermentation etc.

Depending on fruits you use you might need pectolase or amylase to prevent yourself making jam. Also some sterilising and stabilising chemicals and probably finings to clear the wine.

I'm sure I've read abaout banana being used to clear (and flavour) wines as well as lemon and orange juice being used to "invert" standard sugar to make it easier for yeast to process.

Back