What to do next / Legal stuff ?

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
I bought something that should have come with an extended guarantee. After waiting 4 months I still havent had any luck in getting it.

The supplier is saying they have ordered and paid for it (with the distributor) yet the distibutor just keeps repeating that they will sort it out.

So if I was to take the matter further, how do you recon I should proceeed ? I am thinking either the small claims court or a no win no fee solicitor ?

Cheers.

If you paid all or part with credit card and the whole order came to more than £100 but less than £35000, use Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act to sue your credit card company - they will then chase it.

If the order came to less than £100 or you paid via debit card check if you are still in the time frame for a chargeback. With Visa it's 120 days from the day you are aware of the problem.

Both of these will ultimately leave you with no extended warranty. If you really want an extended warranty, there are plenty of 3rd party companies around (probably at lower cost than the highstreet, as there is no sales person's commision to pay). My nan used to use Domestic and General.

Check with Consumer Direct to see who you should be approching for a refund on the policy: retailer or warranty company.

If you decide to go small claims, it's only £35 to start the claim and initial paper work can be completed online. But do go the CAB to get advice on filling out the forms.

Back