What now for the cable users?

yorkshirelad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Due to the changes in Leeds :Cry: I'm having to look at other options...I've seen people discussing satellites as a new option?

I know nothing about them....:comp1:

How do they differ compared do dbox/dreambox cable?

i.e channels, setup, cost, etc

Any info or recomendations would be appreciated - i'm sure they is a few people who are in the same postion and unsure of the options out there.

Thanks

Yep, I'd like a heads up too, as, although I'm not in Leeds, it's evident the current system is going to be gone soon so, what do I need to get a basic setup started... (Before the hardware prices start skyrocketing!)

Freesat?

Sky pack?

Any old Dish and Sat box?

Extras? ;)

a sat set up is a bit more than just plug an play like the vox box ,star view etc etc, you can get a good set up for about 300 (i think), if you dont go down the c/s route or buy a sub, it seems theres not much about apart from 1west.( but dont hold me to that, iv not used my box for yonks.) cable an sat are all going down the same road N3, im sure more peeps on here will tell ya a bit more about a sat set up.

wel i wouldent pay £20 4 all the sat set up ..as we live in a flat so cant have it +++++ the picture is not very good when the weather goes bad !!! not worth it i dont think

wel i wouldent pay £20 4 all the sat set up ..as we live in a flat so cant have it +++++ the picture is not very good when the weather goes bad !!! not worth it i dont think
if you have a large enough and properly aligned dish you wont lose the picture in anything but a biblical storm!

My 1.2m dish grabs me everything I need up here in Scotland (Glasgow Area).

Once you go Satellite, you'll not go back to anything else.

Can't you recieve all the sattelite channels direct off the internet with a reciever like 'dreambox 500'?

living in a flat is not mutually exclusive to having satellite, obviously you don't know much about satellite either or you wouldn't keep on about bad wether and interference. My own dish went up in about 30mph winds when first fitted.
i get better than 90% snr on the worst day of the year i don't get bad reception at all any time or weather. I am sure most sat users will agree tbh.
And there is plenty to watch up there if you really want to :cool:.

My 1.2m dish grabs me everything I need up here in Scotland (Glasgow Area).

Once you go Satellite, you'll not go back to anything else.

See, I keep hearing this... But no fecker ever sheds any light on where to start... ;)

(Hint-hint! - Just in case you didn't notice!)

:)

now i have a sky mini dish...

lost reception in the poor wather at the start of the year .. when i had it moved earlier this year use a mates sat meter to align it a bit better..

no problems since..

its all in the aligment mate... and the size of the dish

See, I keep hearing this... But no fecker ever sheds any light on where to start... ;)

(Hint-hint! - Just in case you didn't notice!)

:)

dreambox 500s and a motorised dish pack of ebay

as for the weather,its that bad in winter sometimes i expect my dish to be ripped off lol signal usually great,but the wall will go before that fooker does :proud:

dreambox 500s and a motorised dish pack of ebay

Thanks Bro, now we're getting somewhere! :)

Any size dish particularly? I've seen motorised mentioned a few times, is that necessary, or is static suitable for most needs...?

Thanks Bro, now we're getting somewhere! :)

Any size dish particularly? I've seen motorised mentioned a few times, is that necessary, or is static suitable for most needs...?

You need to decide what channels you are after first then you can decide if you need a motorised or static dish. If you just want some basic channels then you could get away with a static dish, but if you want to view all that is available you will have to chande satellites so will need a motorised dish.

alternatively if you have the funds, the time and the patience you could build a large array out of all the dishes in the northern hemisphere - great reception from a dish that size and no need for a motorised setup

alternatively if you have the funds, the time and the patience you could build a large array out of all the dishes in the northern hemisphere - great reception from a dish that size and no need for a motorised setup

hi, can you give more info on this

hi, can you give more info on this

was joking m8 - you dont have the funds - even bill gates before he gave most of his money away didnt have the funds to do that - the technique does work but is seriously expensive - on a smaller scale it's used to make arrays of radio telescopes a few hundred miles wide at most - no reason you couldnt use it for sat apart from the cost (and the fact that most people couldnt be trusted with the hardware lol)

Back