What is Plasma

Gazer

Banned
Reaction score
Flat screen television is the wave of the future.
For years science fiction has shown us how TV should look - a moving picture that hangs on the wall.
Today, fiction has become reality with a number of brand name manufacturer's selling both high resolution HDTV flat screens as well as traditonal definition flat screens.
Plasmas perfrom extraordinarily well under most ambient light conditions.
Very bright light does not wash out the image on the screen.
The beauty of these flat screens is that, unlike front view projection screens, you don't have to turn off the lights to see the image clearly and easily.
Plasmas are therefore excellent for Video, DVD and Satellite.
And the thinness of there systems allows you to place them virtually anywhere, they can be hung on walls, mounted to ceilings :D: or placed on a tabletop.
If you have one of these Plasma sets let us know what you think of it.

Plasma technology is still advancing and the cost still falling. There are lots of differences and you have to be careful when purchasing. Plasma panels were not originally designed for home use, but more modern one's are very good for home use.
I have a bit of experience with different models, so I'll help answer your questions if I can. :)
My plasma is an NEC plasmasync but it is not widescreen, only 33" 4:3 format. It is my preference of picture, although I will probably upgrade in the near future and go widescreen.
As well as light ambience benefits Plasma screens do have very wide viewing angles compared with rear projection or LCD tv screens. So they are much better in my eyes.
Older plasma screens generally dont have a good contrast ratio's which affects the black and dark colours, and you get very dotty pictures with dark sceens. Older one's also generally have cooling fans that can be annoying (like my one has). Also plasma screens do not generally have a long life, and will possibly need re-gasing around every 3 to 4 years. However, very new ones seem to be combating this problem better and the new Hitachi is supposedly the best, but I cant remember the model number off hand.
Anyway, enough of my rambling. If you have questions on any models I will try and help with goods and bads etc.

L:cool:

Back