Well Which One

dickie1968

Inactive User
Reaction score
Need help and quick which is the best tab out there at the min 8 or 10 inch not that fussed, having done some homework and being a bit off a yorkshire tight arse i would say plump for the vega and update to vegacomb. The motorola runs honeycomb which cost an extra 150quid as has the same spec almost as the vega any help would just tip me in the right direction... cheers

There is a thread near the bottom of the page, called recommended tablet. Might be worth reading that

Iv just bought the 8" archos 80 gen9 its running honeycomb out the box and is a fantastic tablet for the price, £199.99. worth checking out!

Cheers lads will take a look, had a archos years ago for watching films on a 7inch wide screen job and must say it was the nuts very good build quality and good battery life as well.

depends on what you want to do with it. All the cheap ones be prepared to reload with a custom ROM to get the best of them. Most don't work with google market out the box for varies reasons.

The hanspree is not bad for £160 +P&P from ebuyer. 10" capacitive screen with tegra 2 CPU. However no GPS.
The Vega is also supposed to be a good entry level pad with similar spec to hanspree. They are around £200 new though recently somebody did post link to refurbed units for £150.
I have several flytouch3 which can be picked up for £120 direct from China (always had delivery in about a week). Ideal for media playback (it handles 720p files no problem) and basic usage. More connectivity then above two but single core CPU and resistive screen.

Beyond that you are starting to look at devices like the transformer with 1280x800 screen starting at £300.

I tried several, before taking the plunge. Bought a xoom slapped tiamat custom rom on it. 1.6ghz with brilliant battery life. Also, Samsung have just released their new baby as have Sony.
Sodding thing is, my m8 is an I whore and has just updated his Mac air to the i7. Misses says its one or the other.. hmph

Vega it is then £140 on ebay factory referb units only down the road as well so should only take a day to get here then its playtime... will put on vegacomb 3.2 and give it a whirl...then take it to work and get the lads to get one and charge them a few bob to put vegacomb on....... just one thing it as BT on it would this marry up to a BT gps unit so could put co-pilot on there for the van at work... hope so as a 10 inch sat nav would look so cool then when we get to site watch a few films as well..... just wish they would do xbmc for android this would be the icing on the cake..also i will be able to wifi tether my sgs i9000 for mobile internet so cool look out ipad i'm after you....lol..

No news on XBMC for android. There are several threads on xda about it though. Saying that the iphone version just popped up out of nowhere but its not looking promising.

There is a VLC alpha if you are after a straight media player.

Not sure if vega comes with GPS but if its anything like other tablets I have seen then BT bluetooth does not always work. GPS on my flytouch works fine with the provided external aerial. Got the tablet using local hotspot on a htc desire to run goggle maps. I have a hacked copy of co-pilot as well and tbh prefer google maps. If you look on fleabay there are 10" tablet mounts available for mounting in cars.

GPS works fine on a Vega, used copilot and google nav (tethered to my old faithful HTC Hero) with an external BT GPS dongle which can be bought cheap as chips off ebay.

Cheers all looks cool then 10 inch gps here we come, already have a old BT unit somewhere when i used to use ipod touch with tomtom. Will also use vlc player as thats what i use all the time on my mac book pro and my little win7 netbook. all systems go... cheers for all the help lads

as an alternative you could look at the samsung galaxy tab (7" version). tesco have reduced the price of them too £150 yesterday, so a great bargain, but may be difficult to find now. or alternatively asda are reported to be doing the 3g and wifi version for £220, which is still a decent price

I just bought a advent vega ,should i put 3.2 vegacomb rom on it or use MoDaCo Rom which is already installed .I don`t know anything about them so would appreciate what you recommend ..Thnx

I just bought a advent vega ,should i put 3.2 vegacomb rom on it or use MoDaCo Rom which is already installed .I don`t know anything about them so would appreciate what you recommend ..Thnx

without a doubt Vegacomb 3.2 build 9n & update 3, fast as a very fast thing and very stable, also looks the business instead of a looking like a phone OS on a bigger screen.

Axeman, take a toby over on these threads Vega ROM Development . You will have to sign up but there is everything you need to get your vega up and running with the sexy vegacomb. And yes it's all pretty easy to do, as the advent vega is 99% unbrickable:)

mines on its on its way £129 refurb form pcworld ebay store cannot wait to play

did you buy one then Dickie ,if so what do you reckon to it?

It came today and soon after it was out the box the lappy was putting vegacomb on it must say very very good for £130 very fast and very easy to use if you have a android phone fetched it into work tonight and now all the lads want them. few bob for me putting vegacomb on and a few choice apps....Happy Days

Defo worth the money dickie,i have not looked back since i got mine,stunning little tablet,with vegacomb on it!

sent from my vegacomb 3.2

Back