Weight training question.

mcgirt

Inactive User
Reaction score
Alrite lads,

I've be going to the gym and doing some weight training at home since about september last year. I happy with my cardio but would like to Increase my muscle size (mass?).

I had just been gradually increasing the number of reps. A friend said I should increase the weight and do less reps to increase muscle, is this correct?

Cheers.

My understanding is that for bulk you would use heavier weights and less reps. For definition; less weight and more reps.

cheers for the reply.

So I guess if I want to increase my mass but keep definition, I should use heavier weights to bulk up, then drop the weight and increase the reps.

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, just make sure you don't get it from the resident mental case at your gym.

If you just want to build muscle, then it is probably best to exersize one muscle group per week. ie Monday: Shoulders Tuesday:Arms Wednesday:Legs & Abs Thursday:Back Friday:Chest

You would be better decreasing rest time between sets week on week on a 3 week rotta rather than increasing weight.

3 sessions in a set, 2 sets in a super set, 3 super sets in a workout. Session 1, 12 reps, session 2, 10 reps, session 3, 8 reps.

So, week 1, 1 minute rest between a session and 2 minutes between a super set.

Week 2, 45 seconds rest between a session and 1 min 30 seconds between a super set,

Week 3, 30 seconds between a session and 1 minute between a super set...

Then the next 3 weeks reverse it working upto more rest time, so on and so forth.

Just increase the weight when you think you can handle more weight on this plan.

DON'T do roids, they are bad news and any muscle you gain will disapear in a matter of weeks when you stop taking them, loads of fakes on the market, and it isn't real muscle. Could mess your body up in a number of ways including stopping your body from knowing how to make it's own hormones naturaly.

Lifting weights puts a lot of strain on you though so you need to make sure your diet is on track and take a multi vitimin and codliver oil to begin with.

I know this is probably a bit confussing to take on, but you need to look into something that suits you and reasearch it, just don't get advice from the muscle heads in the gym (warning!!)

DON'T do roids, they are bad news and any muscle you gain will disapear in a matter of weeks when you stop taking them, loads of fakes on the market, and it isn't real muscle. Could mess your body up in a number of ways including stopping your body from knowing how to make it's own hormones naturaly.

Lifting weights puts a lot of strain on you though so you need to make sure your diet is on track and take a multi vitimin and codliver oil to begin with

I know this is probably a bit confussing to take on, but you need to look into something that suits you and reasearch it, just don't get advice from the muscle heads in the gym (warning!!).

thats balls m8 . you can keep 90% of all gains with steroids if your diet is correct . and your hormones go back to normal after a short period . . what you really mean is test and once you stop using it you body soon knows its time to start again . you sound like a goverment health warning lol

My gym ain't the type of place were serious weight lifting takes place.

I have no objecting to enhancements but I don't require them. I know I can achieve what I want but as I'm a noob on this I get annoyed sometimes.

You now that for all the work you do, if you only knew more on how to train and eat etc you would achieve more sooner. I used to do a lot more sport so fitness came naturally, but due to my shifts I've not been able to do much.

Cheers for the help, I'm sure I'll have a lot more question for you's.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys prefer/use free weights or machines? I find using the machines at the gym very awkward to the point were it feels like one arm is working hard that the other. Where as using free weights seems more natural and balanced.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys prefer/use free weights or machines? I find using the machines at the gym very awkward to the point were it feels like one arm is working hard that the other. Where as using free weights seems more natural and balanced.

Free weights for me. They make you use a number of other muscles to keep your balance and other benefits. PLUS, I'm not a member of the gym so don't have any choice, lol...

free weights every time m8 . the smith machine is a joke . you can lift an extra 10kg -15kg on that just because it does all the balancing for you . but these guys struggling using a proper bench .

Good stuff, at least I know I'm on the right track.

Bought my self a new weight bench the other day as my old one was on the way out. My gym tends to have more machines and less free weights, which is a bit annoying when I'l trying work out a routine.

Cheers.

Back