Web Page Design

fatspanner

Inactive User
Reaction score
I think i'm bored with my current job and i'm sat here currently thinking of the sort of things i would possibly like to do. The first is web page design and i'm going to start having a go at putting a simple site together and see how i get on, what is the most widely used software for creation of web sites?

theres a number of different web design programs about but before you buy one think what type of site you want if none spring to mind look around you mite find one or two ideas and work from that because not all web design programs do what you want.

I used Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 for my first one did the job i wanted because i had a small site ( dont have anymore or i would show you ).

as for building web pages if you dont want to do it try HERE

For the very basics learn HTML and CSS plus how to implement javascript files into HTML (there are loads of prebuilt scripts available on the web).

Yes Dreamweaver and Frontpage et al will design a site for you with little effort (as long as you have your content and images sorted that is), but there is nothing more satisfying than putting a site together from the ground up using nothing more than notepad!

Also worth looking into learning a server side language (this is something I've yet to do) like php, asp, jsp etc and how to get these to query databases.

First web design app i used was frontpage express, think it came with IE4 or something. Then moved onto frontpage, then dreamweaver. But i only ever use dreamweaver for the table layout (css positioning looks complicated), and do the rest in notepad. I have the content in a mysql database, and have php code to get it and put it on the page.

If you type in google "php mysql" the first result is what i started using to learn php and mysql.

dreamweaver is a pretty good web-page developer that gives good results. Frontpage is a little basic.. if u want to go flash ways & add some cool graphical looking stuff on your site i,d try something easy like Swish unless u can get your head around macromedia flash

good luck :)

Thanks Guys

My main aim is to eventually create a site for retail. I have always said i would work for myself, but the fact that my job is secure and stress free has never given me the kick up the arse i needed.

To the first million! :Cheers:

... i only ever use dreamweaver for the table layout (css positioning looks complicated)

The W3 don't recommend using tables to organise page layout as it can affect the way screen readers (for visually impaired web users) work. In fact if you use the HTML 4.01 strict DTD you won't pass the validation test (_http://validator.w3.org/).

If you're new to HTML, and want to make a carer of web design, its well worth learning how to lay your content out using the 'absolute' and 'relative' atributes of cascading style sheets (CSS).

I'd highly recommend 'old hands' to learn the CSS method of positioning purely to stay standards complient too.

Good magazines to get you started are .net and Web Designer. Though aimed at industry professionals, even a hobbyist like me can follow the HTML/CSS tutorials.

Good magazines to get you started are .net and Web Designer. Though aimed at industry professionals, even a hobbyist like me can follow the HTML/CSS tutorials.
.net is a good one, i used to buy it a few years ago but they split it into two different magazines, so i dont bother anymore.

I've been designing HTML pages for a while now using M$ Frontpage. It's ok for basic sites but once you want to start doing anything 'creative' with your site you need to learn PHP, SQL and MYSQL.

I've attached an eBook to this post that I am currently reading and am finding VERY USEFUL. It's the second edition of the book, the most current is the third edition which can be bought at the link below for $50. Not sure what the second edition cost as I got it from........ somewhere else ;)

h**p://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

:)

one tip is to make sure you strip html from get/post/ and clean the output

i think php is great i wish i was better at it i can write bits and pieces but most of the time im posting somewhere else for help when i make something... but most sites will help you if you try yourself to begin with.

another tip you will be suprised that mysql itelf also is nice to use for coding and you will find alot of things are done easier with mysql than making php do all the work (but depends) and never search all data (SELECT * FROM blah blah) when you only need maybe two rows of data ;)

that book looks interesting i will read it when i get some time :)

Last edited:
one tip is to make sure you strip html from get/post/ and clean the output

i think php is great i wish i was better at it i can write bits and pieces but most of the time im posting somewhere else for help when i make something... but most sites will help you if you try yourself to begin with.

that book looks interesting i will read it when i get some time :)

Hope it helps Mickie D :)

I'm currently around page 70ish and it's beginning to boggle me a bit....lol

Back