Want to make a set of kitchen plinth lights

Exclusive

DW Regular
Reaction score
on ebay pack of 10 ready made are £30

i thought i would try my self and see if i can create it.

What would be the best way.

1. 10 blue LEDS
2. 12v adapter

i would need resistors etc

Any ideas ?

Spec of the LEDs needed.

Forward voltage drop and current for the output you want.

on ebay pack of 10 ready made are £30

i thought i would try my self and see if i can create it.

What would be the best way.

1. 10 blue LEDS
2. 12v adapter

i would need resistors etc

Any ideas ?

I know you have said that you want to make them, however what is the reason for this? Save money, better design, just as a project etc. I picked up some plinth lights recently off ebay, look very smart and seriously doubt I could have made them cheaper.

I like the idea of something like this stuff,
Super Bright Ribbon Tape, 10mm, 12Vdc, RGB - 1 metre FRX Series LED Light Strips | Led lightbulbs.co.uk
You could stick it to the underside of the units and the light would cast on to the plinths creating a nice effect in my mind.
Wizbit77

On the subject of copying Bandq styley ones, if I remember rightly from my electronic lessons (a long long time ago). Each L.e.d. uses about 1.5v and very little curent. So if you had a 12v transoformer (readily available) and wire them in series. You could power 8 off one little transformer. You would probably need one small resistor in the loop although I think modern LEDS are a lot more resilient than the old ones used to be.
Wizbit77

I know you have said that you want to make them, however what is the reason for this? Save money, better design, just as a project etc. I picked up some plinth lights recently off ebay, look very smart and seriously doubt I could have made them cheaper.

um more of a project really and a bit of the cost.

but doing more research i think its better if i buy them, as each light goes into a junction box.

which ones did you get mate ?

You will need the spec of the LED's mate as they are current driven, and need a certain amount off mA.

Need load leds, led holders, resistors and a suitable tranny.

Get on fleabay, most sellers have led/resistor packs for 12v.

Cheap as chips.

um more of a project really and a bit of the cost.

but doing more research i think its better if i buy them, as each light goes into a junction box.

which ones did you get mate ?

These were the ones I got from ebay and we are very happy with them. Click here

Back