Want new firewall + antivirus pack - any suggestions?

TheWakeUpCall

Inactive User
Reaction score
My kaspersky is still playing up and I cannot fix it, it's starting to get annoying since it is knocking off around 3Mb of internet speed.

So I want to move on if there is anything to move onto.

I can't get kaspersky 7 which i hear fixes this since I cannot *afford* a key, does anyone know if there are any *affordable* keys around?, I cannot find them.

Norton I don't really want tbh.

I don't like zonealarm.

So anything else? I would like a package that includes an antivirus too if possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.

i use avast pro 4.7 works a treat , good on system resores also , and alternitive to zone alarm is sygate pro both easly geta able for download
if u want avast pm me ill sort it for u mate

blackice-defender,
and clamav are the best.

but blackice is comercial and clamav is a bitch to install.

I currently use NOD32 for AV. Previously had a version of symantec corp but it slowed the PC down too much.

For firewall I just use the one built into XP as there is a hardware firewall on my router (a bit complacent I know!). Have used Blackice in the past (on XP SP1) and it does do the job nicely.

Comodo is supposed to be a decent open source firewall, but I've not tried it myself.

When I last used Black Ice, it had holes in its security. Never used it again.

On my wintel machines, I use Sunbelts firewall. Not sure how secure it is, but its very similar to the much loved sygate.

h**p://www.sunbelt-software.com/

i use the 90 day trial of microsoft one care live never had any probs with this and also have been on few net pages with this and has had viruses found within the webpage and always detects so i would recomend this let me know what the rest of you think

How many PC's are @ your location and have u considered a dedicated firewall, build yourself from an old pc. I've used smoothwall for a while now, was a good intro to linux plenty of mods n addons including clam.

Does take a bit of effort but a good learning platform.

lol I don't think I need to setup a machine just for a firewall, since I only have two computers on my network.

I looked at avast, but it's only an antivirus, and I need a firewall more than an antivirus. I will only need a new antivirus if it is decent and is packaged with the firewall.

Also looks like BlackICE is being finished from development? And will be out of support soon. So I would rather not get that.

I think I might look into comodo. I'm just not sure if I can trust a free firewall though to be as good as the retail ones. I'll read into it.

If it sucks I'll read about sygate.

Commodo all the way mate, the best free firewall you can get. (Well so I read at some point and I seem to do ok with it).

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

It does it's job just as it should, you can have it loud (telling you lots of info but a pain in the arse), or you can have it sitting quiet and just let it do it's job, only warning you on major critical attacks.

For the virus protection I use AVG, updates promptly every morning and is a solid free product.

http://free.grisoft.com/

Last edited:
I tried comodo and didn't really like how it handled things. It doesn't necessarily need to be a free firewall. And I read that sygate had been bought out by norton, so wasn't really that keen on that.

lol I don't think I need to setup a machine just for a firewall, since I only have two computers on my network.

Granted it is over kill, I'm a sucker for a project!

It's a great use for an old PC and I wanted to learn a little more about linux @ the time. I manged to turn an old P2 333 laptop into a smoothwall firewall with the help of the smoothwall comunity so didn't take up much space not the norm I know!

A hardware firewall's main advantage is it does the processing of the data not your desktop pc so leaving you more processing for your apps.

I wanted to give another option as you seem to have covered most of the software firewalls and already have an a neg opinion on them.

I use avg and ive never had any trouble with it what so ever plus its free and updates

everyday, for a firewall Zone alarm i know you said you dont want to use it but i think it is a

rock solid firewall, ive tried most, good luck in your quest.

Granted it is over kill, I'm a sucker for a project!
It's a great use for an old PC and I wanted to learn a little more about linux @ the time. I manged to turn an old P2 333 laptop into a smoothwall firewall with the help of the smoothwall comunity so didn't take up much space not the norm I know!
A hardware firewall's main advantage is it does the processing of the data not your desktop pc so leaving you more processing for your apps.
I wanted to give another option as you seem to have covered most of the software firewalls and already have an a neg opinion on them.

the good thing about a standalone like that is you can include any of the following:

a mule client,
a torrent client,
a mail client,
an ftp server.

all independant of what's happening on the desk machine.

My kaspersky is still playing up and I cannot fix it, it's starting to get annoying since it is knocking off around 3Mb of internet speed.

So I want to move on if there is anything to move onto.

I can't get kaspersky 7 which i hear fixes this since I cannot *afford* a key, does anyone know if there are any *affordable* keys around?, I cannot find them.

Norton I don't really want tbh.

I don't like zonealarm.

So anything else? I would like a package that includes an antivirus too if possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.

pm sent m8 hope it helps i use them all the time and all great and free lmao
why pay if you dont need to free better

Nod 32 is excellent, its very fast at scanning and uses little resources meaning it wont slow down you pc like norton. you wont even know its there.

try it mate

Back