Vu+ Solo2 rebooting

I didn't know about the temp reading. With the cover off, the temp was 24 to 26 degrees. With the cover back on (loosely covering 80% of the box) the temperature increased to 34 degrees and after 30 mins the box rebooted. I decided to force the issue and put the cover back on fully, covered the vents on the top of the case and turned the fan off. The temperature rose quickly to 42 degrees and the reboots increased to a point where they were happening every few seconds and I didn't have time to access the temperature menu item to see what the max temp was but it looked like conclusive evidence of heat-related problem. I put the fan on full power and uncovered the vents and the occurrences of the reboots began to reduce over a few minutes - although I had to switch the box off a couple of times as it was stuck at the 'Starting' point. Also, at times it took longer than usual to go through the boot-up process. Eventually, the temperature stabilised at 26/27 degrees and the box was usable again but I got a couple of reboots at this temperature which is annoying and contradicts the earlier conclusion. I left the box off overnight and this morning it is running at 20 degrees and no reboots after an hour - fan on full, cover on and everything else is installed/running. I'll post an update tonight.

Teaf, it appears to be but I don't have another one to compare it to. What's the normal operating temperature that the box should be running at?

I thought less than 35 was okay but obviously the lower the better.

You could consider swapping fan for a good quality higher power one and as quiet as you can get.

Keep fan settings on maximum when on and when standby try little less than 50% with cover on.

That's what I do but my box is a sunray clone with fan swapped out for a higher power quieter one.

Do you have HDD in and connected to power/data as that would increase heat?

The box ran over the weekend without a reboot, cover on and USB & HDD installed and working EPG. I have left the fan on full speed and the temperature stays at mid 20 degrees so this suggests over-heating as the problem. However, the couple of reboots at lower temp after the forced high temperature test leaves a doubt. I monitor it over the week and report back.

Are you back to two sat feeds or just one feed still?

As you say, best to leave as it is for rest of week to check.

If you only have one feed, then maybe after week connect other sat feed and monitor again.

Good luck.

Yes, second sat cable connected. everything is back as it was.

Yes, second sat cable connected. everything is back as it was.
That's good.

Have you been using it to view channels, etc or has it been mostly lying dormant?

Very active over the weekend. Haven't recorded and watched at the same time but have time shifted a few times.

I've have 3 reboots in the week which is much better than previously. I haven't had time to do any more investigations but I'll play with the fan setting to see if there is an optimum speed - full speed is loud.

If you believe it's heat related, you could look at getting a faster rpm fan and quieter.

Quick update. The Solo2 limped along repeating the reboots from time to time, but got progressively worse until last weekend when it would only work for a few minutes after power-on and then the message 'Starting' would stay on the display for as long at the box remained powered up. I used a gel pack from the freezer to keep the temperature of the the internals down with no improvement, so I gave up on it, and my new Duo2 arrived yesterday.

Back