Vu+ Solo2 rebooting

yaya

Inactive User
Reaction score
After taking some time today to finally get CrossEPG running on a formatted FAT32 4Gb USB stick, every so often (5 mins to 2 hours) it reboots and the EPG info is gone. I manually download the EPG info again and off we go for another few mins/hours until it reboots again. If I remember correctly this is why I've been running EPG free for the last year - tried it before and gave up. Any ideas?

Are you defo saving to the USB and not the internal flash?

Are you trying to find why box reboots and epg info is wiped or just epg info wiped?

The reboots are my main concern as they are rendering the box unusable. I'm 100% sure that CrossEPG is saving to the USB drive - directory and files are there. I changed the settings to save to the HDD and the reboots continue so its not limited to USB saves. I'm assuming that CrossEPG is at fault because the EPG info is gone after the reboot.

I would work on one thing at a time as they maybe related. The important one is reboot.

What image/version you using and was it a fresh install with no restore of settings?

What is satellite setup do you use? Just $ky 28.2 or multi-sat?

Is it a clone, if so, what version?

ketmp,
Blackhole: V2.1.5 - fresh install
Just 28.2
Original Vu+ Solo2

From some reason my USB stick wasn't appearing in the device manager, eventhough it was still available as a CrossEPG storage option and I could FTP to the USB directory. Up to this I hadn't checked that the device manager. I replaced the drive with one that showed up in device manager and mounted it and downloaded the EPG info again. I'll know soon if the problem is fixed.

I'm not sure if the below trick is still needed for 2.1.5 but try it:
TRICK: To be sure that Xbmc is not filling your flash, after the first Xbmc launch check your filesystem. If you have the folder .Xbmc in the root dir "/.Xbmc" you have to copy it on /media/hdd and then delete from the root.

I presume looking in the root directory via FTP is ok - there's no XMBC data in the root directory. I'm still getting the reboots with the USB mounted correctly as per the last post. I haven't updated the EPG since its been running for a few hours without a crash - points to the EPG as the problem.

It's not a common problem so maybe your EPG settings!

Do you use crossepg with opentv for 28.2 epg data?

Using Crossepg with OpenTV on 28.2.

Since last post, the box has rebooted a few times and once it went into a loop of rebooting before it settled down again. Now, I m not sure if its related to EPG at all.

How long have you had your box? Have you had another image/version on it and if so was that okay?

Do you have any plugins? If so, it could be a plugin.

You would have to usb flash a fresh flash with no restore of settings and without adding any plugins except essentials liking setup your 28.2 bouquet and epg and test that for a few hours.

I'm afraid it's a process of elimination.

Thanks keptmp for your replies.

I have the the box since May 2013. It rebooted on earlier versions of blackhole (I thought it was linked to previous attempts to get EPG working, but not so sure now). In recent times I only use the box as a basic sat receiver with the standard plugins that come with the image. Is there a way to know if the box has rebooted without watching the TV (error log?).

Thanks again.

My image, OpenVix, stores it's logs in /Home/Root/Logs so try there.

Does there seem any kind of pattern to the reboots? Like is it when you're switching channels or can it happen when watching one channel for a while and then it just reboots without you touching/doing anything?

I doubt it's actually CrossEPG at fault (well on it's own) as that is used in most, if not all, images and I use it without a problem.

If it happens whilst switching channels then I will go through some checking you could try with your lnb feeds.

Could be the plug that comes with it, try another see if that works

Ok, I took a punt on another image OpenPLI and had 3 reboots in 2 hours following installation. Could this be hardware related?

Try changing your plug worked for me

Could be.

Does OpenPLi have it's own built-in autoboquet maker or do you have to manually sort channels?

Could you remove your HDD and any USB stick and then maybe flash OpenVix 163 (I use that now for sky so I know its stable) and setup your sky 28.2 using built-in autobouqet maker for Sky UK but don't setup anything else like EPG, etc and see if box crashes.

If it does then we can look at using only one sat feed in tuner A (removing tuner B feed) and test that for a while and then try the other feed (that was previously removed) in Tuner A on it's own (ie nothing in tuner B) and try that.

Have a look for any logs in the folder that ketmp has stated. When it reboots do you get any weird small text on the screen or does it literally power off and then back on again. If the later 4hen check the mains adapter and the figure of 8 power lead to make sure it is fully inserted.

Thanks for all the replies. No log folder in home/root or any log files that I can find (pointing towards hardware again). I'll flash OpenVix 163 and change the power lead and take it from there. I won't get near the box over the next few days to do anything but I'll report back on progress as I go.

I would suggest that if you could take out each of your sat feeds and unscrew the F connector and check that the little copper strands are NOT touching the main thicker copper in the centre. I've heard weird things can happen if this is the case.

Back