Vu duo hdd question

elmoemo

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi I have my vu duo set up with an external 500 gb hdd from and old skybox. I partioned it in 2 parts but when I plug it into the duo I need to initialise it and lose the partitions, my question is, is there anyway to keep both partitions. Record on one and put movies on the other? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Dont know. But you can record and keep movies on the same partition. You can also use a network share for accessing your movies.

It may b e worth stating which image you are using just in case it affects the answer to your question.

Did you partition it as ext3?

This is what the initialization does, so it might not need doing if you do it first :)

Did you partition it as ext3?

This is what the initialization does, so it might not need doing if you do it first :)

Yea did initialise 1st, which deleted my partitions. I know I can ftp to box but does that not use my bandwidth? Not sure. Vu duo is running vix 3

Any transferring within your own network, ie not going to the outside world does not use the bandwith allocated to you by your ISP.

Yea did initialise 1st, which deleted my partitions. I know I can ftp to box but does that not use my bandwidth? Not sure. Vu duo is running vix 3

Sorry not clear from your answer but did you partition as ext3?

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry not clear from your answer but did you partition as ext3?

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure mate just initialised didn't check ext3 or 4 will check in the morning as gettig late now lol thanks for reply.

It may be possible to use a Linux live boot CD on your PC such as gparted to partition the drive and format to ext 3.

Then when you install it in the Duo just mount it, I do add ive never tried a partitioned drive this way but it may be possible.

Still feel making another directory on the drive say movies2 and then sending the movies there and using the duo media player to navigate to that folder maybe the best option.

Just checked its ext4. Ftp'd files to the hdd but don't want to waste bandwidth that way, I was hoping tk have 100gb in a format windows could use so I could just copy filea that way. If its not possible I can just use a smal flash drive though

Just checked its ext4. Ftp'd files to the hdd but don't want to waste bandwidth that way, I was hoping tk have 100gb in a format windows could use so I could just copy filea that way. If its not possible I can just use a smal flash drive though

Then try using a live cd as suggested to create two partitions in ext4 format,then hopefully the Vu+ wont need to initialise it,

You can transfer from windows to ext4 using an ftp program

You won't be wasting bandwith transferring within your network. If you don't believe me, disconnect the telephone line or coax cable from your modem.

You won't be wasting bandwith transferring within your network. If you don't believe me, disconnect the telephone line or coax cable from your modem.

Awesome thanks for the info mate :) will keep it as is and just ftp files then

Back