VPN via DDWRT

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone can help me. I know it was here that i got help last time to sort my ddwrt with something.

I have searched the ddwrt wiki and there instructions do not work.

Scenario: I have a network running at home that consists of wired and wireless networks which includes games consoles, tv's, dreamboxes and so on. Fairly straightforward nothing too complex. There is a modem (sly router). Connected to that is another router which i have flashed ddwrt and everything is connected to that.

I am now leaving this place, parents will still be living here. When i need to peform reboots and changes to some of the systems i need to be able to logon remotely. I thought about getting one of them microservers and putting it on the DMZ or even getting a raspberry pie and putting that on the DMZ but i know that you can set up vpn on ddwrt router so thought why not.

What i want to acheieve: I want the network to still remain secure and firewall to be on. I want to set up the router as a VPN with username and password to be able to logon to it. Maybe even log onto each of the devices that are switched on through there and do reboots or do work on them.

1) I this possible?
2) how do i do it?
3) is this the best method or am i better off getting a raspberry pie and leaving that on the DMZ?

If it helps, this is the firmware version i am running:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) std

Also the sly router is totally open, no firewall no nothing. All the security is done on the ddwrt. It is just acting as a hub. I have switched wifi off on it (the sly router).

Last edited:
1) I this possible?
yes,
2) how do i do it?
setup a PPTP vpn ( see below ) and use windows to connect to the vpn, you have to be on separate networks so if your parents house is 192.168.0.x when you set up your new network at your new home, ensure you reconfigure the route on to a different address range i.e 192.168.1.x once the vpn is connect you would just browse to 192.168.0.{sat box iddr}

3) is this the best method or am i better off getting a raspberry pie and leaving that on the DMZ?
DMZ is not the way to go, you could see if your sat box supports open VPN.

hope it helps ..

from dd-wrt websight

On DD-WRT, go to the Administration->Services and set PPTP server to active, save the changes, then set the IP of router (192.168.1.1) for the server IP, and under Client IP(s) set a range for connections. (192.168.1.20-29 for example of a ten client set up)

Under Chap Secret put in username * password * for example: testmachine * password1234 * ( The "*" are NOT a Placeholder, they must be there ! ) Use no capital letters. Also avoid using the # character since this breaks pptp. (This also applies to the router administration password that is included by default in the password file for pptpd.)

Now on your PC select Create new Connection under Control Panel -> Network Connections. Select Connect to Network at my Workplace, then select Virtual Private Connection, give it a name (home link). Select what applies, dial up or LAN. Type the WAN IP address of your router, it must be static address or an address through DynDNS.org or the likes. (Thanks loxza)

Then at connect window, type the username and password you used earlier under Chap Secret (in our example: testmachine:password1234). Use no capital letters.

If you have followed the above steps and still cannot connect to the VPN, try forwarding the PPTP Port (1723) with TCP protocol to the LAN IP Address of your router (i.e. 192.168.1.1). Although it seems like this is a weird approach since you are using your router to forward to itself, it often times allows the VPN connection to suceed.

For more information on setting up a VPN connection in Windows XP see this article.

For other Windows versions see this link.

If you have Problems to see your Network Neighbourhood or Programs like VNC and Remote Desktop are not working, then you should Disable the Loopback Adapter under Administration -> Management in your Router. If this does not work, then it is also useful to edit your new VPN Connection under Properties -> TCP/IP -> Advanced -> and select Use Standard Gateway of the Remote Network. With this Option you are fully inside the Router's Network, all Traffic include your Surfing is then over your VPN Connect. With both Settings, you are fully integrated in the Remote LAN.

Maybe your best bet, either have a workstation there to rdp to or if someone generally is using a PC then set it up to have multiple rdp sessions and then just forward your port to that workstation and then you can do what you want within the network - securely. This means who ever is using the PC wont be booted off when you need to connect and you dont have to mess around forwarding or opening mutiple ports for different machines or services.

thanks chaps.

I have tried those instructions and cannot get a connection although i have been trying using 3g from my android phone using vpn software.

The networks are totally different. one is sly and the other is vm so two different internet connections. Do i still have to ensure that the ip addressing is different?

Can you stick "Tomato" on the router, setting up a secure tunnel is dead easy and you can use remote desktop with it, all though I only use the tunnel from work to the lab...I have team viewer installed on all the equipment, might be an easier option if your on DD-WRT.

The tunnel is easy to set up and you can get to any device on your local network via it where ever you are. (as long as you have your key handy...)

Remote desktop, use team viewer....? you can leave all your firewalls and that alone then...it's great software.

Last edited:
Can you stick "Tomato" on the router, setting up a secure tunnel is dead easy and you can use remote desktop with it, all though I only use the tunnel from work to home I have team viewer installed on all the equipment, might be an easier option if your on DD-WRT.

The tunnel is easy to set up and you can get to any device on your local network via it where ever you are. (as long as you have your key handy...)

Remote desktop, use team viewer....? you can leave all your firewalls and that alone then...it's great software.

Whats this tomato business mate? never heard of it?

Reason why i dont want to use a single pc is that i want to be able to log onto the router, see what devices are on and connect to one of them.

Its says it works on ddwrt as well - i will try it on that.

Its set up from a windows pc but im guessing when i connect from somewhere else o the internet i dont need the pc that i used at home to set it up to be switched on? The connection is made to the router isnt it?

Sorry about the thick questions!

yip.....connection to the router mate......

The server is run by the embedded Linux within the router, as long as your broadband modem and router are on the only other component you need is a remote computer with PuTTY and a SOCKS-enabled application like Firefox.

thanks chaps.

I have tried those instructions and cannot get a connection although i have been trying using 3g from my android phone using vpn software.

The networks are totally different. one is sly and the other is vm so two different internet connections. Do i still have to ensure that the ip addressing is different?

yes, your local ip address have to be differnt for vpn's when you try to connect to the vpn what error code do you get, also try dissabling your firewall on your PC and see if it connects.

Back