Vista quicker than Windows 7

10 seconds to post, 59 seconds to usable and even then i had startup programes continuing to load in the tray but i didnt time that because people can have a different amount of programes included in the startup.

I personally like win 7, it has some smart features especially auto resizing on the desktop

10 seconds to post, 59 seconds to usable and even then i had startup programes continuing to load in the tray but i didnt time that because people can have a different amount of programes included in the startup.

quite true. but the Microsoft tests were timed till the OS became stable (all programs were loaded into memory, and the OS ready to accept your input). so, even, your system takes well over 1 minute to become "stable".

quite true. but the Microsoft tests were timed till the OS became stable (all programs were loaded into memory, and the OS ready to accept your input). so, even, your system takes well over 1 minute to become "stable".

I'm sure most of us can live with an OS that boots in just over a minute :)

I'm more than a little curious to hear from Cisk and his uBer turbo loading OS ;)

I'm sure most of us can live with an OS that boots in just over a minute :)

I'm more than a little curious to hear from Cisk and his uBer turbo loading OS ;)

I personaly think you could have the best pc in the world and windows 7 will still take as long as it wants to load up. Imo cisk should put a vid up on youtube to prove it :)

My Acer Aspire netbook loads stupidly fast - not sure if it's the SSD or the fact that the OS (which isn't Windows!) is very minimal so has little to load. But it's up and running in about 25 seconds from a cold boot.

My main PC - E2200 OC'ed to 3GHz with 4GB Ram although Windows is only 32-bit - is very slow to boot. Dual booting on the same hardware I find that my Xubuntu 9.04 install boots quicker than my Vista install... most likely because it's 64-bit.

Yesterday I received a free copy of Win7 Ultimate (Signature Edition with Steve Ballmer's signature on the front :D) through the post, which contained both 32-bit and 64-bit copies, so I'm gonna finally be upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows. Hopefully this will make Windows boot quicker.

However, the machine I'm most impressed with for boot time is my Mac Mini. It's only a 1.66GHz box with 4GB or RAM and again the OS is still 32-bit. The machine has always been quick at booting and being usable, but since installing Snow Leopard on it this thing flies - it boots significantly faster than my main PC with Windows & Linux on it. I don't know how Apple do it, but they can surely teach Microsoft a thing or 2 about fast boot times.

I dont much care how long the pc takes to boot, as long as it's stable and quick when it does.

I wonder, though, if CISK is timing his system waking up from sleep, rather than a full boot.

My Acer Aspire netbook loads stupidly fast - not sure if it's the SSD or the fact that the OS (which isn't Windows!) is very minimal so has little to load. But it's up and running in about 25 seconds from a cold boot.

My main PC - E2200 OC'ed to 3GHz with 4GB Ram although Windows is only 32-bit - is very slow to boot. Dual booting on the same hardware I find that my Xubuntu 9.04 install boots quicker than my Vista install... most likely because it's 64-bit.

Yesterday I received a free copy of Win7 Ultimate (Signature Edition with Steve Ballmer's signature on the front :D) through the post, which contained both 32-bit and 64-bit copies, so I'm gonna finally be upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows. Hopefully this will make Windows boot quicker.

However, the machine I'm most impressed with for boot time is my Mac Mini. It's only a 1.66GHz box with 4GB or RAM and again the OS is still 32-bit. The machine has always been quick at booting and being usable, but since installing Snow Leopard on it this thing flies - it boots significantly faster than my main PC with Windows & Linux on it. I don't know how Apple do it, but they can surely teach Microsoft a thing or 2 about fast boot times.

My Commodore 64 boots up in less than 1 second, the Spectrum is slightly slower, it takes a lengthy 1.5 secs!

;)

I dont much care how long the pc takes to boot, as long as it's stable and quick when it does.

Absolutely mate.

I wonder, though, if CISK is timing his system waking up from sleep, rather than a full boot.

I wonder if he's just telling porky pies :)

I agree with you there fella, boot time means nothing to me either but i would like to see 7 booted in less 10sec.:proud:

I timed it there with a stop watch, 3 secs BIOS, 12 Secs win 7 boot screen and 2 secs logon.

Oh and forgot to mention its running of this :proud:

488549.jpg

I timed it there with a stop watch, 3 secs BIOS, 12 Secs win 7 boot screen and 2 secs logon.

Oh and forgot to mention its running of this :proud:

488549.jpg

Fucking hell, how much did that set you back??

175 Euro, Have it just for the OS then a 2 x 500G standard HDs.

Load times are ridiculous.

175 Euro, Have it just for the OS then a 2 x 500G standard HDs.

Load times are ridiculous.

Are you sure you're not covering a lie with more lies? ;)

Last I heard, you were booting off a 750Gb Spinpoint drive.

Any chance of a quick picture?

Just to set my mind at rest.

It's just that you made these claims but forgot to mention the key component until others started questioning your times.
:Cheers:

Last edited:
Nope, spinpoint is gone , put it in my old mans machine, read times were below par imo. He just knows about how much storage it is so was more than happy with it.

Go the Ocz Ssd 4 weeks ago, saved my pocket money and bought it.

Reason i never mentioned the "key component" was in my 1st reply i was comparing my own times Xp x86 Vs Win 7 x64.

Not in comparison to any of your systems. Frankly a dual core on a SSD would outperform a Quad core xtreme OCèd at 3.6Ghz.

Sh1t just noticed i have 10 Days to activate Win7, looks like the product key the OEM release gave me has been blacklisted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, spinpoint is gone , put it in my old mans machine, read times were below par imo. He just knows about how much storage it is so was more than happy with it.

Go the Ocz Ssd 4 weeks ago, saved my pocket money and bought it.

Reason i never mentioned the "key component" was in my 1st reply i was comparing my own times Xp x86 Vs Win 7 x64.

Not in comparison to any of your systems. Frankly a dual core on a SSD would outperform a Quad core xtreme OCèd at 3.6Ghz.

Sh1t just noticed i have 10 Days to activate Win7, looks like the product key the OEM release gave me has been blacklisted.

i dont see why a ssd is just a hdd with no moving parts it's not a hdd with uber speed.

i dont see why a ssd is just a hdd with no moving parts it's not a hdd with uber speed.

SSD means you are basically talking to a bank of RAM via the SATA interface, It's not really a hard drive, but it behaves as one, it's almost as if you have stored your OS in ROM.

It is much faster than accessing any magnetic Hard drive.

Any way of videoing it for us - even if it's from your mobile phone? I'd be interested to see it booting that quickly. Been tempted to get SSD for my main rig after using it on my netbook.

@ W, great comment about your CBM64 & Speccy... made me spit my cup of tea all over my keyboard. You're not wrong though! :D

SSD means you are basically talking to a bank of RAM via the SATA interface, It's not really a hard drive, but it behaves as one, it's almost as if you have stored your OS in ROM.

It is much faster than accessing any magnetic Hard drive.

Thanks for that i had no idea how they worked tbh i was told they were just a hdd with no moving parts.

have you not seen this, demostrates the emmence power of ssd drives when coonfigured correctly

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs]YouTube - Samsung SSD Awesomeness[/ame]

Just watched some vids people posted on YouTube of their PCs booting from cold on SSD.

Wow, I so want a SSD now...

:Drool:

Back