Vista quicker than Windows 7

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Systems experts with stop watches have poured cold water on Microsoft's claims that its Windows 7 operating system boots up faster than Vista.

Redmond has been marketing Windows 7 on the claim that it can boot up quicker than Vista.

However, Iolo Technologies, which sells PC tune-up software called System Mechanic, said that Windows 7 takes one minute and 34 seconds to become usable, whereas Vista takes only one minute and six seconds.

Iolo explained that most measurements were based on the time it took the desktop to appear. In Windows 7 this is much faster and can be about 40 seconds, but Windows 7 is not actually completely usable at that point.

The company decided to trip its stop watches on the time it takes Windows 7 to become fully usable "with CPU cycles no longer significantly high and a true idle state achieved".

Windows gets slower and slower as time goes on, Iolo added. The firm found that a three-month old machine can take up to a minute longer to boot, or two minutes and 34 seconds.

Windows 7 did outperform Vista at the three-month and six-month marks. But it "trailed the older version significantly" in its earlier boot-up tests.

Iolo plans to release more details on its findings and methodology next week.

Source

I dont care what Microsoft or experts say.

On my system with my setup and my programs installed.

Windows 7 out performs Windows XP and Windows Vista, both on start up and running. Windows 7 also handles memory better (I have 8gb) Windows Vista used to suck down 4gb of memory, Windows 7 uses only 2gb, both with swapfile turned off.

I dont care what Microsoft or experts say.

On my system with my setup and my programs installed.

Windows 7 out performs Windows XP and Windows Vista, both on start up and running. Windows 7 also handles memory better (I have 8gb) Windows Vista used to suck down 4gb of memory, Windows 7 uses only 2gb, both with swapfile turned off.

7 out performs xp?

aye

lmao

how does he work that out

u can run xp with 512MB and it still does a job

My system boots 7 in about 10 secs or less, with all my programmes installed.

Xp would do similar time on a fresh install but after all my programmes were back it would take near 20 secs.

So imo Win 7 Outperforms Xp and vista.

10 seconds lol

i am running a quad core @ 3.6 ghz, 2gb of pc2 8500 crucial ballistix

2 x 250gb sata 2 raid 0 as primary

takes at least 40 seconds to properly boot up on xp

10 seconds lol

i am running a quad core @ 3.6 ghz, 2gb of pc2 8500 crucial ballistix

2 x 250gb sata 2 raid 0 as primary

takes at least 40 seconds to properly boot up on xp

Your obviously not a 1337 as me so.

7 out performs xp?
yeh, got me too

Xp would do similar time on a fresh install but after all my programmes were back it would take near 20 secs.

really? Fcuk did you see them pigs?
Your obviously not a 1337 as me so.

a 1337 in your own mind? i seen nothing in your post, never mind your conclusions, to give you that moniker.

Ive said it since i used it win 7 is just as slow if not slower than vista all these claims of better ram usage faster this faster that all seem like a load of crap to me just sell yet another system resource hungry os.

So your pc is fully booted and usable in 10 seconds (or lesss!) running windows 7?

Yup, well from the moment Win7 boot screen kicks in, maybe another 5 for the BIOS screen.

Im running X64 btw, was very suprised by the speed, As loon as my desktop shows, my Nod32 screen flashes for 1 sec and were ready to go.

Nod32 used to take a good 10 secs to kick in on my previous 32bit xp.

It takes 7min 43sec to boot up my PII 300Mhz system, and 'm runing Windows 3.11..

59691-windows-3-11.jpg

sorry couldnt help it:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, well from the moment Win7 boot screen kicks in, maybe another 5 for the BIOS screen.

Im running X64 btw, was very suprised by the speed, As loon as my desktop shows, my Nod32 screen flashes for 1 sec and were ready to go.

Is that from a cold start or from a suspend/hibernate?

Do you have an SSD drive?

My home system is a q6600 running at 3.25mhz with 8gb or RAM and that takes a good minute to get to the desktop from a cold start.

Is that booting from cold and all programs up and running?
MS are saying their goal is to try and get 7 to boot in 15sec or less.
Maybe you should send them an email fella.

Boot time - Windows 7 Forums

10 seconds sounds a bit sus TBH, unless it is resuming from a previous session?

I'm gonna time mine, BRB...........

I'll time it from the moment I hit the Power Button on my case, about 6 seconds of the total time will be the POST.............

10 seconds sounds a bit sus TBH, unless it is resuming from a previous session?

I'm gonna time mine, BRB...........

I'll time it from the moment I hit the Power Button on my case, about 6 seconds of the total time will be the POST.............

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK, dont have a powercut or make excuses for your old machine taking 20 mins to start

Fooking hell, my BIOS screen alone took 10 seconds to clear! lol

Total boot time was 1 minute 03 seconds, that was the time it took from switching on the PC until my PC was fully useable - i.e all desktop icons displayed and system tray fully active, MSN Messenger, Daemon Tools all active etc.

I'm going to try again as that did feel slightly longer than usual.......

My spec is....

Win7 RTM
AMD64 X2 7850 @ 3.1 Ghz
4Gb 1006MHZ Kingston
XFX 8200 AM3 Mobo
XFX 8800GT GFX
1TB Hitachi Deskstar

{edit}

Just rebooted and it was slightly quicker this time with a time of 55 seconds.

I reckon I could shave a further 6 second off that time as my POST/BIOS screens seem to be hanging on something, it's definitely taking longer than usual.

Last edited:
My laptop took 57.8 seconds to load (including puttin password in)

7 rtm 32x
Intel Core2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73GHz
2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400

Shit specs but games/progs seem to run faster than on vista

Takes 2mins 7secs to shut the fooker down with only kaspersky open.

Last edited:

Im running a e5200 at 3.5ghz,4gb ddr2 800mhz,foxconn p43 mobo,2 3870xt in xfire and my hdd's are seagate barracudas. mine takes allot longer than 10 seconds.

Im gonna time mine too :)

Back