OS Vista Laptop Cant Open Any Program

alonso

Inactive User
Reaction score
Benn given my father inlaws medion laptop to try and fix, it wouldnt boot up, just hung on the vista starting page, I couldnt boot into safe mode either. He had a repair disk so I've used that and it now loads windows but I cant open any program! If I try to open firefox or anything I just get choose the program you want to use to open box?

I cant use system restore either.. Any ideas before I do a new install..

Benn given my father inlaws medion laptop to try and fix, it wouldnt boot up, just hung on the vista starting page, I couldnt boot into safe mode either. He had a repair disk so I've used that and it now loads windows but I cant open any program! If I try to open firefox or anything I just get choose the program you want to use to open box?

I cant use system restore either.. Any ideas before I do a new install..

Sounds like you have a crappy disc..
I have to concur with trevertron..get a copy of win 7 and use that..reinstalling vista is a bad move..
There might be win 7 ISO in downloads...
Nothing to worry about if your laptop runs vista it fine for 7.
If you really want to reinstall then it will be a good idea to format drive before installation.

Thanks for the replys.. lol I know what you mean about vista but wasnt sure about sticking 7 on wheather or not it would have all the correct drivers etc

Thanks for the replys.. lol I know what you mean about vista but wasnt sure about sticking 7 on wheather or not it would have all the correct drivers etc

you can use driver reviver to make sure all correct drivers are installed.

cracked versions can be found in the usual places ;)

Win 7 will have all the drivers required within the installation including network drivers.
Any additional drivers you may require will be found at median site including updated Bios etc..
Install 7 get online Go to median site install any extra win 7 drivers you want or once online run windows update and select receive updates from Microsoft and others etc and it will find and install any drivers your lacking or need updating.

Cheers guys, much appreciated! Before I go ahead does it sound like the vista is cocked up? Nothing I can try to repair?

Cheers guys, much appreciated! Before I go ahead does it sound like the vista is cocked up? Nothing I can try to repair?

The only thing I will say is what ever you decide to do FORMAT DRIVE first..
This can be done at installation..when it asks to select a drive to install to go advanced and format what ever partition you install on..

Back