Virmin ! 50meg down - 5meg up... ! yea right ...

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hello peeps,

Got an ongoing problem with virmin !

Got the 50meg BB, and had problems with download speed for ages.... lots of credit as they could not get my speed above 20meg !!! In the end it was found to be the cable at fault to the house, so they did a repull .... after lots of arguing. This sorted out my speed issues to the modem, or so it seems... it just highlighted another problem... !

Being as I was not getting the full speed at the modem - 50meg down + 5meg up... I did not know there was another problem.

This now comes to light, I get full speed when I plug into the modem directly.... but when I plug in their DIR615 router, My upload will not go above 1meg... regardless of what I do.... that is wired or wireless.... both do the same things !!!! this is on two separate pc's as well, using speedtest.net
Now I know speedtest.net is giving me an ok reading as I get the right reading when I go through just the modem.

I have been sent 3 new routers, and they all do the exact same thing ! Plugged the router into the modem with nothing else plugged in and no settings changed from stock... same thing. Upload my backup file for my port forward for xbox... same thing lol

Anyone else got issues with upload speed using this router on 50meg ? as virmin are insistent they know of NO other problems at all ever !

They also refuse to credit my account any more, as Ive had lots of credits before for loss of service, and poor service... going back to the 20meg issue !

So now, we have a stale mate... Im refusing to pay the current bill as I cant even play on xbl ! I get kicked out the games as they just lag, Seems Im receiving data faster than I can send it back :( Virgin refuse to credit or send an engineer and I rightly refuse to pay for a service that is not working ok.... YES works ok at the modem, but not when using the router !!!! what use is a modem on its own.

Anyone else got problems ?

I understand that 50Mb only works when used with the new SuperHub??? DIR615 and seperate VM modem is for upto 20Mb only, is it not?

I have no problems with up or down speeds I use the black modem and the d link router that they sent me last year I nearly always hit 50meg downloading and anything from 3 to 5 uploading

I upgraded a few months back to 50meg. They gave me the new hub and also dir-615. At first I could only get about 20meg then the engineer came out and added a small adaptor between the end of the cable and the connection on the modem. Now I get 50meg.

I did upgrade the firmware on dir-615 to use dd-wrt.

The dlink router has QOS enabled, that is probably restricting your speed, switched on for N cards

I assume that you have N wireless cards in your PC?

I had the exact same problem. Could not get beyond 23mb on wireless, so in the end sacked it off and got wired and get well beyong full speed

Guys I think Ive confused you all lol

I do get 50meg download on wireless or wired.... its the UPLOAD speed that is the issue :) at an average of 0.80meg.. sometimes, very rarely just over 1.05meg.

The DIR615 is whats used in my area with a different type of modem for 50meg (not superhub) ....

So its not the download speeds, its the upload... which is pretty important with online games...

I understand that 50Mb only works when used with the new SuperHub??? DIR615 and seperate VM modem is for upto 20Mb only, is it not?

Nope, 50Mbps will work without this so called superhub. Mind this hub thing is relativly new where the 50Mbps service has been out a while.

I do get 50meg download on wireless or wired.... its the UPLOAD speed that is the issue :) at an average of 0.80meg.. sometimes, very rarely just over 1.05meg.

The DIR615 is whats used in my area with a different type of modem for 50meg (not superhub) ....

So its not the download speeds, its the upload... which is pretty important with online games...

Has your area had the upgrade yet?, i know they are still rolling it out in areas. also when you say meg! are you not getting confused between MBps and Mbps?

I have full speed on both upstream and downstream using their dir-615, however it is flashed with dd-wrt.

Last edited:

No problem at all with the dir-615. Its worked fine connected to my VMNG300V2 modem since the day it was installed. Both upload/download are fine.

If you really want to play, you could try putting dd-wrt onto the router or even the stock D-link firmware (in preference to the bastardised VM firmware thats on it when it comes). The routers are pretty easy to flash.

The routers themselves are more than capable of handling 50/5 when wired although you can really only expect 25/3 or less from the wireless at real distances (more than a few feet with a wall in between). Headline wireless speeds are mostly characterised at a distance of 1 metre with no obstacles between so aren't real-world !

For online games, the upload speed shouldn't be that important. It would be a crappy game indeed (in terms of coding) that required more than a few hundred k of bandwith with the majority requiring less than 30k (people still play these games on dial-up). The most important thing in gaming will likely be your ping times !

Nope, 50Mbps will work without this so called superhub. Mind this hub thing is relativly new where the 50Mbps service has been out a while.

Has your area had the upgrade yet?, i know they are still rolling it out in areas.

I have full speed on both upstream and downstream using their dir-615, however it is flashed with dd-wrt.

Yes mate, seven kings... ilford im off... but in dagenham.. had upgrade for a while now :)

No problem at all with the dir-615. Its worked fine connected to my VMNG300V2 modem since the day it was installed. Both upload/download are fine.

If you really want to play, you could try putting dd-wrt onto the router or even the stock D-link firmware (in preference to the bastardised VM firmware thats on it when it comes). The routers are pretty easy to flash.

The routers themselves are more than capable of handling 50/5 when wired although you can really only expect 25/3 or less from the wireless at real distances (more than a few feet with a wall in between). Headline wireless speeds are mostly characterised at a distance of 1 metre with no obstacles between so aren't real-world !

For online games, the upload speed shouldn't be that important. It would be a crappy game indeed (in terms of coding) that required more than a few hundred k of bandwith with the majority requiring less than 30k (people still play these games on dial-up). The most important thing in gaming will likely be your ping times !

Im sitting with the router about 1.5 mtrs away, other side of front room lol... :)

The thing is, everyone I play online with has 50meg + and most have infinity which has a good up speed.... could this be why im getting kicked and lag out ?

I would flash router and test but my account is suspended atm ....

can you test without router in at all, just place modem directly into puter and give it a whirl.

and if poss try on a couple of puters to try and rule out either the router or a puter.

can you test without router in at all, just place modem directly into puter and give it a whirl.

and if poss try on a couple of puters to try and rule out either the router or a puter.

Yes mate have done, at the modem I get 50/5 ... router in I get 50/.8 lol

so must rule out computer as I get 50/5 when I plug it straight into modem.... get same result from router if wired or wireless.... stock or configured for xbl.

Back