Virginmedia - Yet another price increase

oneman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
£4.95 this time for me.

We wanted to let you know that from 1st February 2014, the price of your Virgin Media services will go up by £4.95 a month. Plus, any calls you make to UK landlines outside of your talk plan will increase by less than 1p per minute. It's never nice when your bill goes up, but it means we can keep making all the things you enjoy about Virgin Media even better.

They took a bit of persuading but I got a slightly better deal with them last week. Lot of hassle with different agents though hope you get a competent one if you give them a phone. I paid the phone line in advance as well (120 quid up-front = tenner a month) knocks £15 off the monthly bill.
Soon as I heard about the February rise I called them up & gave them 30 days notice to leave, was looking at options when they phoned me back a few days later & eventually gave me a better price. Sent me a superhub 2 FOC.
Good luck if you try for a better deal.
HH.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/385080/#post2373250

Last edited by a moderator:
its pretty much what i do each time, i've got a decent discount plus free upgrades. looking for a tivo box this time.

I had only just renegotiated my discount when the first price increase was announced in this post so i think i will ask to go back to 30mb when the price increase is due

I had only just renegotiated my discount when the first price increase was announced in this post so i think i will ask to go back to 30mb when the price increase is due

They told me I'd have saved a quid per month going back to 30mb from 60mb so I didn't. 60mb going up to 100mb (for free :Laugh: ) next year seemingly so might be worth reconsidering?
HH

it just seems that everytime i get a discount they put the price up again talk about standing a pointed stick up on its own

The increase for me is more than 10%. Gave my notice, they guy did not want to budge, the only thing he offered me was a Superhub 2 which was I was previousl asked to pay £60.

Have decided that I will go with Plusnet. £10 difference a month is quite a bit. If up to 16 MB is not adequate, I can upgrade to their 78 MB fibre and still pay less than Virgin charge for the 30MB.

Pity that the via telephone providers kill the line when you leave them. The reconnection charge makes them uncompetitive. £4 p/m to block withheld numbers.

They will be trying to get everyone's cost up now before the law comes in that when they increase the costs while in contract, they will have to give you the option of cancelling.

They will be trying to get everyone's cost up now before the law comes in that when they increase the costs while in contract, they will have to give you the option of cancelling.

you already have the option of cancelling. Problem is that you can cancel the part they put the price up on (TV, phone or broadband) but then you lose the bundle discount which does not make it worthwhile.

If my subs to VM go any higher then Satellite Broadband looks like a good option.

So much for the free broadband speed increase. Things should be done about this hoax. Really what it should say in the advertisment is, it's free for the next 3 months, but within the next year we will put your prices up at least 3 times to account for this.

Surely if you have an agreed contract with them at an agreed price it cannot be increased until the contract is ended or have they a clause in the terms that allows the increase. I have previously argued this point and the increase did not take place until my contract expired.

Surely if you have an agreed contract with them at an agreed price it cannot be increased until the contract is ended or have they a clause in the terms that allows the increase. I have previously argued this point and the increase did not take place until my contract expired.

the contract does allow for price increases, same as utility companies, mobile phones, etc can increase prices. What it also allows is for you to cancel that service if the price does increase.

I emailed virgin when I got the price increase and I just got a phone call they have removed the price increase on a new 2 year contract and I am getting a new super hub so email away customer services or the ceo [email protected] be polite and and mention your length of being with them and ask for a loyalty discount

Have you got a customer service email addy please mate.
Thanks

I logged into my account and made a complaint on the online form which ever you email it takes 10-11 days to get the phone call

I've noticed that they are offering the FREE upgrade from 60Mb to 100Mb so I applied for it.
Is it boll*cks free. They have increased the cost of the sub but applied a discount for a year. So in 12 months if you forget about it, which a lot of people do then your sub increases to this amount.

How sneaky is that!

I'll be cancelling yet again after the discount period.

I got a phone call yesterday from virgin saying I could have a Tivo box and the new router hub2 thingy for less money than I'm paying now, so from Feb when my bill goes up to £57 it will come down to £51.

I've noticed that they are offering the FREE upgrade from 60Mb to 100Mb so I applied for it.
Is it boll*cks free. They have increased the cost of the sub but applied a discount for a year. So in 12 months if you forget about it, which a lot of people do then your sub increases to this amount.

How sneaky is that!

I'll be cancelling yet again after the discount period.

That has been Sky, BT, VM, etc business model for years, nothing new.

Back