Virgin Media successfully trials up to 1.5Gb broadband speeds

Kruger

Inactive User
Reaction score
Virgin Media successfully trials up to 1.5Gb broadband speeds - Computer Business Review

It is touted to be 240 times faster than the national average

UK based broadband provider Virgin Media has successfully trialled cable broadband speeds of up to 1.5Gb, which is touted to be 240 times faster than the national average.

Users around London's Old Street, an area known as 'Silicon Roundabout', including by members at TechHub, a community and workspace for technology entrepreneurs are getting broadband speeds of up to 1.5Gb by using Virgin Media's cable network.

The 1.5Gb download and 150Mb upload trial uses the same infrastructure and technology as Virgin Media uses to provide residential customers with speeds of up to 100Mb, already being rolled out to over half of all UK homes.

Virgin Media executive director of broadband Jon James said as people are simultaneously connecting more gadgets to the internet and doing more online than ever before, we wanted to explore what our unique fibre optic network is capable of.

"At speeds of up to 1.5Gb, Virgin Media is delivering some of the fastest broadband in the world and, thanks to our ongoing investment, we're able to anticipate and lead the way in meeting growing demand for bandwidth as future services and applications come online," James said.

TechHub co-founder and CEO Elizabeth Varley said superfast broadband is critical to continued innovation across the UK and Virgin Media's 1.5Gb trial is a great opportunity to explore the future potential.

Other businesses taking part in Virgin Media's 1.5Gb trial include BespokeBanter.com, an online media outfit, and soproductions.tv, a video production company.

These superfast speeds are possible because of the £13 billion of private investment made by Virgin Media which means that every cable home is connected to a state-of-the-art fibre optic network by a high-grade coaxial line.

The DOCSIS2 technology used throughout Virgin Media's network provides a future-proofed platform with theoretically near infinite capacity.

DOCSIS 3.0, the current standard used throughout Virgin Media's network, also incorporates support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6).

1st thing,check post date .........yep it fine.....lol

Once again virgin only giving half the story

They cannot supply a continuous 50 meg service,there have to put stupid traffic shaping plans in place to make sure you can't actually use it to its full potential

They need to stop showing off how fast they can go and sort their infrastructure out so it can fully support the speeds they already have

They have potentially the best Internet within the UK but have completely ruined it with all the traffic shaping

And before anyone says "just downloaded at nights" I pay for 50 meg for one reason only

If I see something I want it now not tomorrow

I hang my head in shame, once again I have seen a virgin post and just have to have a pop at them

They are supposed to be releasing the R29 firmware in Beta soon which they are saying will fix most of the errors for the superhub. Its currently in limited beta testing this week.

how can they something like this when they haven't got 30mb modem working 100% yet and i also dont think tivo is 100%, just grabbng money while they can.

not defending virginmedia just the premise that all firms employ

the PR and news department's are nothing to do with any form of service or product available now, in fact i would go as far as saying the PR dept probably have no idea what the current products or services are that the company they work for provide.

in the world of PR the headline grabbers are longest, fastest, shortest, smallest, most expensive, cheapest and tbh not much else.

in the old days there was the daily paper, news on the radio (bulletins not 24 hour), 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock news on tv and trade magazines. Now its 24 hour and there are so many outlets that are all clamouring for any snippet of "news" unfortunately the fallout is most of the cr*p we see and hear is rubbish, and in days gone by we wouldn't have even seen it.

so the long and short is get used to seeing assorts of claims and rubbish by all sorts of companies cos its only going to get worse......

having had problems with virgin broadband over the last month and spending quite alot of time reading their forums. I would say that virgin need to sort out the current problems...

i honestly feel that virgin have destroyed what was a good reliable service by trying to push things like this......

They need to sort out their crappy super dud (hub) at the same time
Hi ben there testing the new software due for release for the superhub, i only know as i at present have the separate modem and router , and was going to ask them to hit the super hub, the guy from virgin told me dont bother yet as what ive got is better, but once there happy with the stability of the new software working on the super hub , it will be released and be much better

Hi ben there testing the new software due for release for the superhub, i only know as i at present have the separate modem and router , and was going to ask them to hit the super hub, the guy from virgin told me dont bother yet as what ive got is better, but once there happy with the stability of the new software working on the super hub , it will be released and be much better

Cheers Brian. I've been waiting for the new firmware for a while. It was supposed to be released in May - I think that was R27, but we are now at the end of July and they've skipped R27 and now gone to R29, but I believe they have delayed the beta because they found to many issues with the firmware update before it went to beta testers.

Fingers crossed (at some point) it will get released soon and fix my issues :)

what's up with the "super hub" and where does that lie on "the network" from one of the major backbones? i think i might go start a topic on that in the pc section, always wanted to know what lies at the end of my modem...lol, *off to post*

Back