Using Clone DM800 as CCCAM Server

pootas

Inactive User
Reaction score
So thinking of using my clone DM800 to share CS my card to a few mates...

What I'm wondering is what sort of processing power does running a CCCAM server use? I'm just concerned that me viewing HD channels/recording as well as running a CCCAM server might be a bit much for the clone...

If push comes to shove I'll just have to build a server and use a smargo but would rather use a dm800 as it's just less mess/hassle...

Any opinions/peeps using a clone as a server?

I cant realy help you on how much processing power is used but for about £10 for a old PC base unit off ebay £10 for a card reader & a free download of Debian Linux sever why not build a sever just for fun.

I used it as a server although i found it got very hot, so i use a dm500c instead.

I cant realy help you on how much processing power is used but for about £10 for a old PC base unit off ebay £10 for a card reader & a free download of Debian Linux sever why not build a sever just for fun.

Yeh been looking at the Debian Server route but just just requires a bit more setting up than just using a DM800... Altho I do agree it is the better option...

Have you setup a Deb CS server... Any advice/pointers if you did it?

I set one up for a freind it took a couple of hours but was fun as I had never used Linux before. I can post a copy of the Tutorial for you but not sure if thats allowed or not.

If you use the above for your server how do you update your card.

Do you get the updates from your clients or do you just place your card in the original STB for its update once a month ?

Many thanks

Regards Finearrow

Thats right m8 just pop it back in the box to update.

You really don't need an external card reader... I use my white sly card in a cloned dm800 running cccam 2.1.3 - got about a dozen or so peers and all is running well. Cccam takes up very very little resources!

With regards to updates, I have had a valid sly subscription for about 4 months, and the card has not been in the sly receiver since it was paired on day one! If your card does need updating, i.e. changing packages/subscriptions, then just pop it back in your slybox to update!

The internal reader runs at 5v though and the card should be running at 3.3v... A smargo will auto detect the correct voltage. That being said tho if it works in the internal then all is well ;)

You really don't need an external card reader... I use my white sly card in a cloned dm800 running cccam 2.1.3 - got about a dozen or so peers and all is running well. Cccam takes up very very little resources!

With regards to updates, I have had a valid sly subscription for about 4 months, and the card has not been in the sly receiver since it was paired on day one! If your card does need updating, i.e. changing packages/subscriptions, then just pop it back in your slybox to update!

I assume then you could do the same thing with a Dm500s.
So a PC server is not really needed unless perhalps you have a high number of clients (peers) whereby it would be to much for a DM receiver to handle.

Is this correct.

Many thanks

Regards Finearrow PS Happy new year to all :Cheers:

On my dm500s i used to run gbox and had well over 100 peers connected and it worked fine (odd crash every now and then, but nothing a reboot couldnt sort out) Im sure cccam will also run fine! If anything, you will be restricted by the number of cards that are shared on your server, and not the amount of peers you have! So keep your server tidy and all should be fine running on your dreambox!

Rather than buying a PC just for CCcam or other cs server, try it on your dreambox, and if it starts cause issues (which i doubt it will) then go ahead and setup a PC server - The main reason people setup CS servers on a PC is that they are sharing multiple cards from different providers, thus requiring additional hardware i.e card readers etc.

Last edited:
If you look around there are 2 diff groups of thought on using "white" card in an internal dm reader. Some say it's been working fine for ages no issues whatsoever and there are others who say the 5v will eventually cook the 3.3v card. Obviously with a 500/600 your a bit fooked as it has no USB port to connect an external reader....

there are others who say the 5v will eventually cook the 3.3v card

You pay sly enough, so if/when it does fry im sure they'll send out a new one! can always say your dog ate it :eatarrow:

On my dm500s i used to run gbox and had well over 100 peers connected and it worked fine (odd crash every now and then, but nothing a reboot couldnt sort out) Im sure cccam will also run fine! If anything, you will be restricted by the number of cards that are shared on your server, and not the amount of peers you have! So keep your server tidy and all should be fine running on your dreambox!

Rather than buying a PC just for CCcam or other cs server, try it on your dreambox, and if it starts cause issues (which i doubt it will) then go ahead and setup a PC server - The main reason people setup CS servers on a PC is that they are sharing multiple cards from different providers, thus requiring additional hardware i.e card readers etc.

What if sxx decides to ask your card to phone home and it gets no response wont that raise quiries with sxx, if your card only goes in the official box once a month the chances are it will miss the phone home requests by sxx.

If you have the three room multiroom sub could you put the three cards in the DM server or would this cause problems with sxx phone home requests.

Many thanks

Regards Finearrow

Fair point ... I would just rather keep them as far away from my setup as possible ;)

Im sure I read on here that a op, changed his package with the card in the box running CCcam 2.1.3 and the card updated accordingly.

If only there was a way round the the addition charges that you incur for not having it attached to phone line for multiroom.

Back