Upscaling DVD's on PS3

stevedw

DW Member ++
Reaction score
On the Options menu i set it to 'Double Scale' then i played a DVD on my PS3 - 'The Day After Tomorrow' but it looked the same as it does when i play it on my DVD recorder, i didn't notice any difference in quality. Is 'Double Scale' the right option to select or not?

My set is 1080i also and I use full upscale and the DVD's look better - just don;t expect it to suddenly look HD or like Blu-Ray. It just irons out a few crinkles and blure really.

Cheers

Moose

you folk with 1080i TV's need to stop falling for the hype. look in the manual for your TV and see what res the screen is actually capable of (probably 1280 X 720 or 1360 X 768) if this is the case then you should choose 720p out put from the PS3, as all that is happening at the moment is your PS3 is outputing an interlaced 1920 X 1080 res picture and then your TV is throwing away a load of lines to make the picture fit on the screen.

Your TV may be capable of displaying 1080i but you should not use it as it can't really display it anyway.

you folk with 1080i TV's need to stop falling for the hype. look in the manual for your TV and see what res the screen is actually capable of (probably 1280 X 720 or 1360 X 768) if this is the case then you should choose 720p out put from the PS3, as all that is happening at the moment is your PS3 is outputing an interlaced 1920 X 1080 res picture and then your TV is throwing away a load of lines to make the picture fit on the screen.

Your TV may be capable of displaying 1080i but you should not use it as it can't really display it anyway.

You folks with opinions need to read the posts :O) No one was saying their TV was doing TRUE 1080 they where talking about what settings they had and what the DVD upscaling option was set too. I think pretty much everyone is aware you can't fit 2 pints of water into a 1 pint pot so obv 1080i is interlacing the picture and it's not a "pure" 1080 full HD image. Yes there is an argument for leaving it as 720p so that the image is produced natively BUT you do get a "higher res" at 1080i just not the "picture definition" of 1080p due to the fact the PS3's video scaler is messing with your output.

Hence if you want the best picture quality and no/little processing then run at 720p. If, like me, you want the menus smaller and more defined, then run the system at 1080i and your games at 720p.

But then you/we don't complain when a lot of games upscale from a bizzare res to 1280x720 to achieve the reported "720p compatability". The likes of Drakes Fortune, Lego Starwars, Heavenly Sword etc don't run a native 1280x720p res they are upscaled by the PS3 to output resolutions before leaving the video buffer.

Hum.. I've rambled... what was my point again?? ;O)

cheers all

moose

You folks with opinions need to read the posts :O) No one was saying their TV was doing TRUE 1080 they where talking about what settings they had and what the DVD upscaling option was set too. I think pretty much everyone is aware you can't fit 2 pints of water into a 1 pint pot so obv 1080i is interlacing the picture and it's not a "pure" 1080 full HD image. Yes there is an argument for leaving it as 720p so that the image is produced natively BUT you do get a "higher res" at 1080i just not the "picture definition" of 1080p due to the fact the PS3's video scaler is messing with your output.

Hence if you want the best picture quality and no/little processing then run at 720p. If, like me, you want the menus smaller and more defined, then run the system at 1080i and your games at 720p.

But then you/we don't complain when a lot of games upscale from a bizzare res to 1280x720 to achieve the reported "720p compatability". The likes of Drakes Fortune, Lego Starwars, Heavenly Sword etc don't run a native 1280x720p res they are upscaled by the PS3 to output resolutions before leaving the video buffer.

Hum.. I've rambled... what was my point again?? ;O)

cheers all

moose

did not realise that about the games, I thought they were all at least a genuine 720P

did not realise that about the games, I thought they were all at least a genuine 720P

Who really cares as long as they look good but more importantly as long as they play well.Too many people jumping on the 1080p bandwagon media hype.People buying because a salesman says its full hd.No need for 1080p unless tv bigger than 46"

Who really cares as long as they look good but more importantly as long as they play well.Too many people jumping on the 1080p bandwagon media hype.People buying because a salesman says its full hd.No need for 1080p unless tv bigger than 46"

v true scott, v true

Also several top titles on Xbox 360 and 'PS3 did not run at native 720p like the darkness, halo 3,uncharted, Lego Star Ward : Comlete Saga, Gears of War. Remember tho that hese are the "internal" rendering numbers not what you see. It just means theyt can squeeze a better frame rate whilst keeping lush visuals - so to you and me it really doe snot matter :O)

moose

Back