Hardware Upgrading HP Pavilion DV6 advice please?

HappyH

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a budget of £150 to enhance my HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook. It's got a Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 Hard drive] (750 GB) at the moment, I'm thinking I could get an SSD & use the original 750GB in a portable caddy. 120GB SSD would probably suffice but 240GB probably safer (just over 100GB used on the drive at the moment)?
Any opinions / advice appreciated on decent model/brand of SSD to go for?
Also if I put the original drive in a caddy & connect via USB3 is that a sensible idea & do I need to buy a specific caddy or will any old 2.5" enclosure do?
Cheers in advance,
HH.

How often do you use the DVD drive on it? You can get HDD caddies that replace laptop optical drives.

The drive is SATA 3Gbit/s. Any SATA caddy will do. For read, USB2.0 is quick enough. For write, USB3's speeds are advantageous but needs a USB3 port to take advantage (is backwards compatible at USB2 speeds).

As for SSDs, because of the <0.1ms seek, there is no slow down as they reach capacity. 240/256GB pro

As it's an HP laptop, if you've not already done so, spend a few quid on some thermal grease (AS5, MX-4) and some copper shims for the CPU and GPU (especially the GPU).

Thanks for reply & advice @little_pob.

Not sure I want to lose the Blu-ray drive it came with but I'll have a wee think about as I didn't know about the HDD optical drive caddies. Notebook does have USB3
ports & I'll order up some paste/shims, Cheers.
HH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for info, ordered a Samsung 840 Evo 256GB, a normal sata caddy & a kit with shims/paste. I'll post back when I run into problems installing :silly: :Dunce: :Hit:
HH.

Back